The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

First Men's college game tonight albeit a JV game. Any parting words of wisdom? I hear the JV, much like high school JV can be a little rough.

Wish me luck!

Larks
BTLLCJO (Big Time Low Level College JV Official)

Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
I hear the JV, much like high school JV can be a little rough.

Not necessarily true. Those games can be better than any HS game that you will ever do. The players are more physical and are better players. Remember, college players are usually the better players on their teams. They just did not always have hype to get the opportunity that the varsity players had or to go to much better program.

You should have fun but do not forget this is a step up in intensity. These players have something to prove and will act accordingly.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 04:47pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

No luck needed, Larksy. Go get 'em!

PS- don't forget to share your impressions with us later, y'hear.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

1. Get that first call out of the way as soon as you can. You'll relax and enjoy after that.

2. Try not to defer to your (more experienced?) partners.

3. Yes, the players are better. But at the JV level, there always seems to be one prima donna who thinks he should be on the varsity squad, and will expect the star-treatment. Don't allow him to affect your game control.

4. Have fun!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, JV college. I'm still recovering from my first JV high school game last week. My second one will be next week and I have been living on this site to help me get mentally prepared. That's what I love about this site - reading other experiences keeps everything in perspective, keeps me real humble. Go kick *** and let us know how many you kicked and how hard.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 05:38pm
9 times

Remember that once the ball is in the air, it is just basketball. Do what you have always done that got you to this point--don't try and do more than you should.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Larks,
Well done! Give us the post game wrap-up.

(BTW, who is it for? Someone in greater 'nati, I assume?)
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm probably posting this too late for it to be of any value to you, Larksy, but I would suggest a couple of things. First, get there early. Allow plenty of time to relax in the dressing room. Get into a basketball frame of mind. You don't want to be rushed to get onto the court. The extra time (hopefully with your partner(s) ) will relax you.

Second, don't go looking for stuff to call, just so that it looks like you're doing something. Let the game come to you, just like any other game. If you don't have a whistle for the first 5 minutes, that can be fine. Don't get antsy and make a borderline call, just so you're "pulling your weight".

Try to relax. Enjoy it. I hope you don't get stuck doing 3 years of those games, like I did! Good luck!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Larks
BTLLCJO (Big Time Low Level College JV Official)

Keep your great sense of humor!!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Have fun, don't look for things to call, get there early, have a good pregame, there's a hell of a lot the defense can do that is NOT a foul.

Let us know how it goes!
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

First of all, thanks for all of the encouragement. The game went great. We had a good pregame and an interesting start. The home team couldnt locate their book so we started the game on printer paper and they transferred the info to the book at half time. Home team was Mt. St. Joseph in Cincinnati. Visitor was Transylvania U out of Lexington, KY. MSJ opened the game on a 22-2 run but TU got to within 10 at half and with 7 to go tied it up. Both teams were just chuckin 3's but TU ran off like 5 in a row to tie it. With 3 to go, TU was up 6 but ended up losing by 7 or 8. All in all, I had a blast and it was a fun game to work.

Observations...

Shot clock didnt come into play really, most trips were one pass and heave ho

Both coaches were easy to deal with. MSJ's coach was actually cracking me up with some of his one liners towards his guys.

I need to rotate more in lead. I am working on this but since I work almost all 2-man, I feel this barrier at the nr. lane line extended. I just need time in the system because I under stand it. Just need to get a feel for the timing of the rotation a little more.

94 feet is 10 feet longer than 84 feet....on every trip!!

One down...hopefully many more to come.

Thanks again

Larks

Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

94 feet is 10 feet longer than 84 feet....on every trip!!

Larks,
How much longer is that than Holy Family or Lourdes old gym? 50 feet! (west side nati joke)

Thanks for the observations. Sounds like it was great. No mention of partners, so I'm assuming they were solid. Plus sounds like you had two Loyola Marymount (Jrs.) on you hands.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Smile athletic players

As with any level of play it is very important to wait until the end of the play before you blow the whistle. As the level of play increases the players become more athletic so you don't want to blow your whistle to early because they may be able to handle the contact or work their way out of some predicaments without any affect on the play. "Wait until you see the end of the play before you blow your whistle!"
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah, Partners were great. I actually knew both of them so which helps.

Yes the floor was just a little bigger than Holy Fam!