The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

You do not make it up but you sure get offended eaisly when someone points out another section in which to look for information. If someone misinterprets what you post and tries to add a little levity to spice up the post, just take it with a grain of salt. I was not questioning your knowledge of the rule, just a different place in which to find information.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, but you stated that I was wrong, because you didn't comprehend what I wrote. When others read the thread, they then believe the information is incorrect, even though it isn't. I can't allow that to go unchallenged.

I have no problem with someone pointing out that I'm wrong, WHEN I AM WRONG. I misread a post yesterday and submitted an incorrect ruling. My mistake was pointed out and I admitted my mistake. But in this case, I'm not wrong, unless someone else can provide a different reference or approved interpretation.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Now who is reading and implying? I simply clarified what you had written and refered to a SPECIFIC rule page that had ALL the information on use of TV monitors. YOU jumped out took it to the extreme. END OF MY POSTS ON THIS!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevzebra
Now who is reading and implying? I simply clarified what you had written and refered to a SPECIFIC rule page that had ALL the information on use of TV monitors. YOU jumped out took it to the extreme. END OF MY POSTS ON THIS!
Good, that means I get the last word!

You stated, "I hate to wet on your daisy's but the referees CAN go to the monitor to correct a timing mistake or error (rule 2 section 5 covers this - PP 35-36)."

Your "I hate to wet on your daisy's..." indicates that you're saying I was wrong. If not, why post it? One would simply say, "Yes, but the referees CAN go to the monitor to correct a timing mistake or error (rule 2 section 5 covers this - PP 35-36)."

If you're going to post something, either have the balls to stand by it or be willing to admit you're wrong.

As for clarify something I wrote, you didn't clarify anything. You simply confused the issue.

Here endeth the lesson.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 14th, 2004 at 02:29 PM]
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Hear endeth the lesson.
Whear?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Chuck for pointing out my misteak!

Let me go change it!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
When using the monitor for a specific reason, no other judgments shall be made or penalized. (Exception, Rule 4-66, A.R. 42)

Tony, what is the exception referred to here?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

It has to do with catching and shooting versus a tap with .3 seconds or less remaining.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Here ya go, jar, I went back and found the play referred to.

A.R. 42. With 2/10 of a second remaining on the game clock, Team A is awarded a throw-in at the division line. A1 passes the ball to A2 who (a) catches the ball with both hands while in the air and throws the ball into his or her basket or (b) does not catch the ball but taps it into the basket. In both (a) and (b), the ball is in the air on the way to the basket when the game-ending horn sounds.

RULING: In (a), when the game clock displays 0.3 seconds (3/10 of a second) or less and play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw, a player may not gain possession of the ball and try for goal. When this situation occurs, the official shall blow his/her whistle and the game is over, unless a flagrant personal foul (women: flagrant foul) or intentional personal foul is committed on the play. Whether the try for goal was successfully attempted before the expiration of time is inconsequential. In (b), when the player does not possess (catch) the ball but taps it into the basket before the period-ending horn sounds, the official shall use replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring, when available and located at courtside, to ascertain whether the tap (try) that will determine the outcome of the game was released before the sounding of the period-ending horn. If, in using the monitor, the official determines that the successful try was a catch (the player possessed the ball), the official shall cancel the goal since it was erroneously counted and can be corrected per Rule 2-10.1.c.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

This link to the NCAA Officiating Bulletins seems to indicate that the officials could determine if the basket counted and if the timer made an error in stopping the clock.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...10bulletin.pdf
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
This link to the NCAA Officiating Bulletins seems to indicate that the officials could determine if the basket counted and if the timer made an error in stopping the clock.

Jay, I agree that they can, IF that's the predetermined purpose of the review. If their sole purpose for checking the replay was to determine whether the shot was released in time, then nothing else could be corrected if it was observed during the review. See the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske.../20030218.html
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Jay, I agree that they can, IF that's the predetermined purpose of the review. If their sole purpose for checking the replay was to determine whether the shot was released in time, then nothing else could be corrected if it was observed during the review. See the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske.../20030218.html
Agreed. But it is also possible that they went to the monitor to see when the clock stopped. I did not see the game. And all of us can only presume as to why they went to the monitor in the first place.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. But it is also possible that they went to the monitor to see when the clock stopped. I did not see the game. And all of us can only presume as to why they went to the monitor in the first place.
Oh, absolutely, you're correct. Personally, I think if they did, they wouldn't have put time back up. So, we really have no way of knowing what they were looking at.