The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Help me with this one. Regarding the clarified rule this year. It is a techinal foul to slap the backboard and cause it to vibrate and to use the backboard to gain an advantage. When calling this, does the whistle cause the ball to become dead immeadiatly or can a goal count after the whistle? Here are some examples.

A1 on a breakaway, B1 and B2 in persuit, as A1 goes in for a layup, B1 (in the officials opinion)intentionally slaps the backboard. The lead blows the whislte for the Tech. A) the ball goes in or B) while the ball is on the ring,B2 goaltends. Do you count either of these baskets.

Same as first one except that A1 uses the backboard to gain an advntage. Call the T on A1. Do you count the bucket in either case.

Hope this never happens but it could.

Dave B

Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Like all other defensive fouls, the ball remains live until the try ends if the foul occurred after the start of the shooting motion. The basket is counted if and only if it goes in the basket. If it were the offense committing the T, the ball remains live only if it has been released by the time of the foul.

A seperate goaltending or basket interference infraction is possible since you still have a try in progress. They are the only way that the basket can be awarded, not from the slapping of the backboard.

In case (A) and (B), the basket is counted and the T is assessed.

In the last case, the only way I can interpret what is written is to say that A1 still has the ball at the time he gains this advantage. The ball is dead on the T. No bucket.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

In the last case, the only way I can interpret what is written is to say that A1 still has the ball at the time he gains this advantage. The ball is dead on the T. No bucket.
I agree -- and will add that if A1 has released the ball on a try before he slaps the backcoard / gains an advantage, then the try counts or not on its own merits.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I agree with both replies but add it's probably not a
good idea for the lead to be calling this. Trail or
center's call 99.9% of the time. Agree?
Old Mon Dec 04, 2000, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

I agree -- and will add that if A1 has released the ball on a try before he slaps the backcoard / gains an advantage, then the try counts or not on its own merits.
Just as a matter of clarification Bob, the only time a try would not count regardless of its merit would be the player control by the airborne shooter which is always waved off even when the ball has left the shooter's hand before he lands on a defender in legal gurading position. Right or wrong? Any other situations?

[Edited by Ralph Stubenthal on Dec 4th, 2000 at 02:43 PM]
Old Mon Dec 04, 2000, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
Just as a matter of clarification Bob, the only time a try would not count regardless of its merit would be the player control by the airborne shooter which is always waved off even when the ball has left the shooter's hand before he lands on a defender in legal gurading position. Right or wrong? Any other situations?
There is one situation when an airborne shooter can score, even if he commits a player control foul. Any guesses?
Old Mon Dec 04, 2000, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

There is one situation when an airborne shooter can score, even if he commits a player control foul. Any guesses?
I think there are two situations:

Goaltending
Basket Interference

As long as these happen before the PC foul.

Old Mon Dec 04, 2000, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I think there are two situations:

Goaltending
Basket Interference

As long as these happen before the PC foul.

One or two, you got it right.