The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

This can be tied in with another thread on this forum- the one concerning calling walking violations, etc. in youth games. Here's my point: we are ambassadors of the game and sometimes we have to serve in an educational capacity and uphold the integrity of the game and athletics in general. Although incidents like this one are scary to think about, we still have to be vigilant in showing players what sportsmanship is all about.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
It's cruel to the kid. (I don't care about the father). I was shocked he wasn't being punished either-but was happy to see the last line "Trease did say that the school board is looking into the incident."
Sounds like a CYA statement to me.
There are always labor unions involved in teacher issues. This may end up resulting in a suspension - until they decide what course to take, it really is too early to judge the school system. If they take an early action without good legal advice and sufficient investigation/ documentation, they could have it easily overturned and never be allowed to suspend this person.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:01am
Esteemed Participant

So we all agree that this dad is a class-A jerk, and should not be allowed to coach anymore - but lose his teaching job??? Come on...if the guy was a firefighter or a sales rep would we be saying he should lose that job? His district will (almost assuredly) remove him from any coaching duties for a period of time - but as Hawks Coach said, it will take some looking into...and the legal system will run it's course - but take away his career?? I'm not sold on that just yet...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Let me ask this. What would happen to a teacher who, outside the realm of school activities, was convicted of a misdemeanor assault? Let's say, for example, he gets a little road rage and assaults another driver. Is his teaching career affected?
Remember, he's an example to the students, he's a role model. If this guy can't control his temper better than that, how can he teach the kids to become productive adults?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:15am
Esteemed Participant

Actually, he probably wouldn't be affected very much by a misdemeanor...felony assault (or any felony) absolutely gone, but not a misdemeanor...and don't get me wrong - I am a teacher and hold myself and my colleagues to extremely high standards - I would tell this dad (if he taught at my school) exactly what I thought of his actions, and encourage him to find work in another school/district...but the district does not have the power to just fire the guy for this incident...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Wink

How did the official allow the game to get to a point where a hockey game broke out? I read articles like this and shame on the parent for his actions, but I am reminded to make sure I keep my game management skills honed and ready all the time. If we work harder as officials to keep the game under control, we can avoid beat downs in the game and of us.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not always, Reffish.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reffish
How did the official allow the game to get to a point where a hockey game broke out? I read articles like this and shame on the parent for his actions, but I am reminded to make sure I keep my game management skills honed and ready all the time. If we work harder as officials to keep the game under control, we can avoid beat downs in the game and of us.
There are a lot of ranges of gym situations, and refs are not necessarily going to be able to handle all of this. First question is whether or not there is sufficient game mangament outside the officials. Frequently, outside of school games, there is not.

If there is insufficient game management, you have a ref who has to manage the floor and the crowd, a difficult proposition. This implies that the ref must monitor the crowd temperament and attempt to prevent a major incident while reffing the game.

Refs interact with players and coaches and, to a degree, can prevent problems with these individuals. And even so, individuals can be unpredictable and assault a ref despite appropriate game managment. On the other hand, refs should not be interacting with the crowd or trying to manage the crowd. So it is even more possible for an irrantional fan with no game managment present to wind up assaulting a ref, and I would be hard-pressed to say it was in any way attributable to the ref's actions or inactions.