The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Attacked Official. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11683-attacked-official.html)

JRutledge Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:00pm

This should be corrected now. Sorry guys!!!

Just wanted to pass this along.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/566162.html

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Jan 13th, 2004 at 04:44 PM]

MN 3 Sport Ref Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:15pm

Rut:

We can't link to the article unless we have AOL. Do you have the direct link?

Snake~eyes Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:17pm

I agree

We're sorry! That page can only be viewed on AOL's service.

JRutledge Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:46pm

Check now.

I am sorry, I cut and pasted the wrong url. My bad. It was not an AOL story. I did not notice the mistake. Now it should be corrected.

Peace

Snake~eyes Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:46pm

Wow, just great. He should be fired.

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:59pm

absolutely inexcusable.

11-year olds learning from the worst

Give him a prisoner uniform and make him sweep the floors before each of his son's games.

Would that be cruel and unusual or could that be classified as community service?

The man is definitely deserving of penalty/punishment.... Loss of his coaching position would be a start.

Adam Tue Jan 13, 2004 06:12pm

"since he was at the game as a parent...." blah blah blah. Doesn't matter. He's representing the school at all times. This guy should at least lose his coaching job.

Mark Padgett Tue Jan 13, 2004 07:12pm

You don't really want to know what I'd like to see happen to this "teacher".

BTW - in my state (Oregon), assaulting a sports official is a Class A misdemeanor and will be prosecuted. Penalty is fine and/or imprisonment.

Snake~eyes Tue Jan 13, 2004 07:41pm

My state has the same thing, or is pushing for it atleast, last time I talked to a delegate he said he was pushing for it and he says that many states already have these type of rules. ;)

Hawks Coach Tue Jan 13, 2004 08:18pm

How you act at an athletic contest as a coach is always relevant. It should not matter that you lost total control when acting in the capacity of a parent. It is unacceptable conduct regardless.

We had a peeping tom school teacher and the school system didn't care that the activity occurred when he wasn't at school. Can't have him around kids. while this is less severe, it seems that the same is true. I'm not sure I would say that he should be fired from the school system, but he should definitely be suspended from coaching.

ref18 Tue Jan 13, 2004 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
absolutely inexcusable.

Give him a prisoner uniform and make him sweep the floors before each of his son's games.

Would that be cruel and unusual or could that be classified as community service?

Loss of his coaching position would be a start.

That hardly sounds cruel, and if you give enough people the punishent, it won't be unusual any more.

Axe Man Tue Jan 13, 2004 09:40pm

The superintendent of Adair County Schools, Darryl Trease, says that since Shelton was at the game as a parent and not as a school he is not being suspended at this time.

So...under this line of thinking by the superintendent, Shelton gets arrested at his home for possession of illegal drugs, he wouldn't be suspended because he was at home as a parent not as a teacher. Time to load up the family and get tho this school system as quickly as possible. Oh the lessons that the children could learn...

WinterWillie Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:22pm

Assaulting

Quote:

Originally posted by Axe Man
The superintendent of Adair County Schools, Darryl Trease, says that since Shelton was at the game as a parent and not as a school he is not being suspended at this time.

So...under this line of thinking by the superintendent, Shelton gets arrested at his home for possession of illegal drugs, he wouldn't be suspended because he was at home as a parent not as a teacher. Time to load up the family and get tho this school system as quickly as possible. Oh the lessons that the children could learn...

According to a national publication, there are three sports officials assaulted everyday in the USA. :(

oc Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
absolutely inexcusable.

Loss of his coaching position would be a start.

That hardly sounds cruel, and if you give enough people the punishent, it won't be unusual any more.

It's cruel to the kid. (I don't care about the father). I was shocked he wasn't being punished either-but was happy to see the last line "Trease did say that the school board is looking into the incident."

Snake~eyes Wed Jan 14, 2004 01:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by oc
It's cruel to the kid. (I don't care about the father). I was shocked he wasn't being punished either-but was happy to see the last line "Trease did say that the school board is looking into the incident."

Sounds like a CYA statement to me. :(