The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Three Seconds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11678-three-seconds.html)

BktBallRef Wed Jan 14, 2004 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
For me, three seconds was low on the priority list of calls.

When I am officiating off-ball, which in my experience, is where most three second calls come from, I was more concerned with watching for illegal screens and players battling for post position.

My focus is more toward these things than looking for somebody camping in the lane.

I'm just the opposite.

Most of my 3 second calls are going to come when I'm at lead, a low post player is camped out in the lane, and I nail him when the ball is passed to him.

From C, I have off ball responsibilities mostly. Most players on the weak side are just flashing or cutting through the lane. Rarely do I see 3 seconds from C.

Don't take be offended but I don't have a priority list of calls. If I can't watch a play, discern what rule is being broken, whatever that rule is, I don't have any business being out there.

PublicBJ Wed Jan 14, 2004 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
[B}Most of my 3 second calls are going to come when I'm at lead, a low post player is camped out in the lane, and I nail him when the ball is passed to him.
[/B]
Exactly, that was 90% of my 3-second calls. Just be sure to blow that whistle as he's getting it, not after he's caught it and has turned around and is shooting the jump shot.

JRutledge Wed Jan 14, 2004 05:25pm

I think we hear the call for 3 seconds and think this is something we are just ignoring. I do not agree with that. Many times at least the varsity levels and up, the players are not even in the lane for 2 seconds, let alone three. Most of the players I see are moving in and out of the lane constantly. Unless they are trying to get the ball, they are going to move to set a screen or to help get the ball on the perimenter. I think sometimes we get caught up in the fans and the crys for this call. The last 4 games I did there was someone in the stands screaming for "3 seconds" and we had rebound after rebound after rebound. I think we pay more attention to this because of the crys. Not whether this is a legitimate call that needs to be made that often. One of the reasons I have not called one in about 3 years.

Peace

Hawks Coach Wed Jan 14, 2004 07:08pm

I like 3 seconds as 3 seconds. It usually takes a bit more, but I agree with Tony that if you make it 5, the calls will be even fewer and farther between. Like the 10 second FT count - I think that if a player consistently took 20 seconds, you would have a call. 11 seconds, you probably aren't counting that close. with all of the counting except B/c, it seems that the extreme violation gets punished not the strictest interp.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 14, 2004 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Like the 10 second FT count - I think that if a player consistently took 20 seconds, you would have a call. 11 seconds, you probably aren't counting that close. with all of the counting except B/c, it seems that the extreme violation gets punished not the strictest interp.
Coach, not sure if you caught the post or not, but I called this last week.

At 12 seconds.

Coach yelled to player, "I told you somebody was going to call it sooner or later." :)

My first ever!! :D

JRutledge Wed Jan 14, 2004 09:11pm

Quote:

I like 3 seconds as 3 seconds. It usually takes a bit more, but I agree with Tony that if you make it 5, the calls will be even fewer and farther between. Like the 10 second FT count - I think that if a player consistently took 20 seconds, you would have a call. 11 seconds, you probably aren't counting that close. with all of the counting except B/c, it seems that the extreme violation gets punished not the strictest interp.
And that is how it should be. But one of the problems is that people cry for that call, and the player is not even in the lane. I have seen guys touch the line and touch completely out of the lane several times, and a coach is yelling for 3 seconds. From the Lead Position (2 or 3), you can see all of that, but you cannot see that so easily from the stands or at the bench. If a player is trying to get out of the lane, why call that? Let them get out of the lane an avoid that call.

Peace

just another ref Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:33pm

One of the times you see 3 seconds most often is when a player anticipates a teammate taking a shot and it doesn't happen. A1 either makes the pass himself from the post or sees A2 catch the ball in position for a shot. A1 hustles into position and gets a body on B1. Meanwhile something else happened. A2 fumbles the ball. B's defense rotates more quickly than anticipated. A2 has an attack of conscious because of earlier missed shot. (I never actually saw this happen) A1 is still there, working hard, until the whistle. Coach A: "Good job, A1! C'mon, A2, you gotta shoot the ball!"

DJ Thu Jan 15, 2004 09:54am

Good Call

Another time when the 3 sec call is appropriate is when a post player has been moving through the lane and then calls for the ball and then after receiving the pass in the lane makes his move to the basket(when 3 sec cannot be called) and then kicks it out instead of taking the shot. This is a very solid application of a play that supports the intent of the rule. This single play constitutes 75% of my three second calls. The defense has collapsed and by them having to cover the lane because that person has been allowed in the lane for the alloted time it frees up the perimeter and creates an obvious advantage situation for the offensive team. would like to clarify the fact that when I refer to him it could be her as a player or official. Sorry if I sound sexist in my posts, I assure you it is unintentional. There are some truly great female referree's and I have had the priviledge of working a state championship game with one of them.

Hawks Coach Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
One of the times you see 3 seconds most often is when a player anticipates a teammate taking a shot and it doesn't happen. A1 either makes the pass himself from the post or sees A2 catch the ball in position for a shot. A1 hustles into position and gets a body on B1. Meanwhile something else happened. A2 fumbles the ball. B's defense rotates more quickly than anticipated. A2 has an attack of conscious because of earlier missed shot. (I never actually saw this happen) A1 is still there, working hard, until the whistle. Coach A: "Good job, A1! C'mon, A2, you gotta shoot the ball!"
Never saw it with boys, but you do see it with girls. With boys, I think a missed shot means you have to take more shots to make up for what you missed. With girls, it means that you aren't going to have a good day, you let your teammates down, and now somebody else is going to have to shoot.

just another ref Thu Jan 15, 2004 02:32pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
A2 has an attack of conscious because of earlier missed shot. (I never actually saw this happen) A1 is still there, working hard, until the whistle. Coach A: "Good job, A1! C'mon, A2, you gotta shoot the ball!"

Quote:

Never saw it with boys, but you do see it with girls. With boys, I think a missed shot means you have to take more shots to make up for what you missed. With girls, it means that you aren't going to have a good day, you let your teammates down, and now somebody else is going to have to shoot.
Years ago, playing church league ball, a friend on another team had a horrible night shooting. After the game I told him that I had never seen him miss that many. He said no because usually when he was missing he stopped shooting.
WOW! What a concept!:) I never heard of such a thing. The same guy a few years later had a son playing in the youth league, age 10-12 or so. He said that he had advised his son, "When you see that you're not hitting, stop shooting and get the ball to somebody else." After the game one night the son said, "Dad, by the time I realized I wasn't hitting, the game was over.":D

BktBallRef Thu Jan 15, 2004 02:47pm

Quote:

Never saw it with boys...
Surely you jest! :)

You've NEVER seen a male player get postion in the lane because he thought a teammate was about to shoot, and then, the shot didn't go up?

Hawks Coach Thu Jan 15, 2004 04:35pm

Surely I exagerate!

It was obviously an overstatement, but in my years coaching boys, I had more players who never saw a shot they couldn't make. With girls, my best shooters will at times stop shooting no matter how open they are if they miss a couple early.