The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, I have a question. I know this move as the "head fake and step under" I will do my best to explain it.
Say a player gets the ball on the left block, and he turns to his right to face the defender, establishing his right foot as his pivot foot. He gives a quick head/ball fake and when the defender goes for the ball he takes one step under the defender with his left foot. Now when he takes this step he picks up his pivot foot (right foot) and jumps off of his left leg for a shot.
Is this traveling?
I have seen this done many times, and have used it many times. What's your take on this?
Thanks
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Legal (R4-43-3b)

If I understand your play correctly, this is legal as long as the pivot foot does not return the the floor before the player shoots, passes. (R4-43-3b)
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:35pm
In Memoriam

Not travelling unless the pivot foot comes back down before the ball is released.

Unfortunately, a lot of players attempting that move will take the step with the pivot foot also-to square up and get their balance before going up. That is travelling.

Welcome to the board,Elmer.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Not travelling unless the pivot foot comes back down before the ball is released.

Unfortunately, a lot of players attempting that move will take the step with the pivot foot also-to square up and get their balance before going up. That is travelling.

Welcome to the board,Elmer.
Sometimes it's more than a shuffle, sometimes it's a huge step off the pivot followed by a second huge step. Some coaches teach this and call it the "power step".
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious guys (I might be splitting hairs here but...) say a player establishes his right foot as his pivot, and then for his step he jumps off of his right foot, lands only on his left foot,(so both feet are in the air for a second) and then goes up for a shot, or pass. (once the rt. foot leaves it doesn't touch the floor again until after the shot)
Is this traveling?
So basically do both feet have to be on the floor for the player to lift the pivot foot?

Thanks for all of the help
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Elmer,
You've just described the legal basis for a layup.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I thought, but guys at the gym don't believe me. Is there anything that says a player must be MOVING (like in a layup) to do this? Can a player do this from a standing/pivot foot situation?
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 05:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by elmer22
That's what I thought, but guys at the gym don't believe me. Is there anything that says a player must be MOVING (like in a layup) to do this? Can a player do this from a standing/pivot foot situation?
No such rule. It's legal. Just because it looks funny (different) doesn't mean it's a travel.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool! Thanks a bunch!
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elmer22
Just curious guys (I might be splitting hairs here but...) say a player establishes his right foot as his pivot, and then for his step he jumps off of his right foot, lands only on his left foot,(so both feet are in the air for a second) and then goes up for a shot, or pass. (once the rt. foot leaves it doesn't touch the floor again until after the shot)
Is this traveling?
What you've described is traveling.

Take a look at 4-43:

Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:

ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

So, you've got to decide if it was a step or a jump.

If a step as in a layup, is just movement of the non-pivot foot (and this can occur with the pivot foot off the floor).

If a jump, travel when either foot touches the floor.