The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is this traveling? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11663-traveling.html)

elmer22 Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:27pm

Hey guys, I have a question. I know this move as the "head fake and step under" I will do my best to explain it.
Say a player gets the ball on the left block, and he turns to his right to face the defender, establishing his right foot as his pivot foot. He gives a quick head/ball fake and when the defender goes for the ball he takes one step under the defender with his left foot. Now when he takes this step he picks up his pivot foot (right foot) and jumps off of his left leg for a shot.
Is this traveling?
I have seen this done many times, and have used it many times. What's your take on this?
Thanks

williebfree Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:33pm

Legal (R4-43-3b)

If I understand your play correctly, this is legal as long as the pivot foot does not return the the floor before the player shoots, passes. (R4-43-3b)

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:35pm

Not travelling unless the pivot foot comes back down before the ball is released.

Unfortunately, a lot of players attempting that move will take the step with the pivot foot also-to square up and get their balance before going up. That is travelling.

Welcome to the board,Elmer.

Dan_ref Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Not travelling unless the pivot foot comes back down before the ball is released.

Unfortunately, a lot of players attempting that move will take the step with the pivot foot also-to square up and get their balance before going up. That is travelling.

Welcome to the board,Elmer.

Sometimes it's more than a shuffle, sometimes it's a huge step off the pivot followed by a second huge step. Some coaches teach this and call it the "power step". :rolleyes:

elmer22 Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:22pm

Just curious guys (I might be splitting hairs here but...) say a player establishes his right foot as his pivot, and then for his step he jumps off of his right foot, lands only on his left foot,(so both feet are in the air for a second) and then goes up for a shot, or pass. (once the rt. foot leaves it doesn't touch the floor again until after the shot)
Is this traveling?
So basically do both feet have to be on the floor for the player to lift the pivot foot?

Thanks for all of the help

Adam Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:23pm

Elmer,
You've just described the legal basis for a layup.

elmer22 Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:27pm

That's what I thought, but guys at the gym don't believe me. Is there anything that says a player must be MOVING (like in a layup) to do this? Can a player do this from a standing/pivot foot situation?

Adam Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by elmer22
That's what I thought, but guys at the gym don't believe me. Is there anything that says a player must be MOVING (like in a layup) to do this? Can a player do this from a standing/pivot foot situation?
No such rule. It's legal. Just because it looks funny (different) doesn't mean it's a travel.

elmer22 Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:37pm

Cool! Thanks a bunch!

Camron Rust Tue Jan 13, 2004 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by elmer22
Just curious guys (I might be splitting hairs here but...) say a player establishes his right foot as his pivot, and then for his step he jumps off of his right foot, lands only on his left foot,(so both feet are in the air for a second) and then goes up for a shot, or pass. (once the rt. foot leaves it doesn't touch the floor again until after the shot)
Is this traveling?

What you've described is traveling.

Take a look at 4-43:

Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:

ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
b. <b>If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor</b> before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

So, you've got to decide if it was a step or a jump.

If a step as in a layup, is just movement of the non-pivot foot (and this can occur with the pivot foot off the floor).

If a jump, travel when either foot touches the floor.