The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was officiating a jr high basketball game in the 1st quarter.Team(A) is ahead by 6 points. Team (A)has possesion and brings the ball past the division line.
Team (B)is sitting back in a zone defense. Team (A)coach
wants the opposing team to come out and get his players,
so he instructs his player to stand there and hold the ball.
He stands there for the better part of 3 minutes and team (b) does not come out after him. Is there a rule that says
team (b) must come out after team (A)? If so what rule is it? Thanks for any insight.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

No, there's not.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

These games are very easy to officiate, especially if there is no 30 second shot clock.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by yellowjacket73
I was officiating a jr high basketball game in the 1st quarter.Team(A) is ahead by 6 points. Team (A)has possesion and brings the ball past the division line.
Team (B)is sitting back in a zone defense. Team (A)coach
wants the opposing team to come out and get his players,
so he instructs his player to stand there and hold the ball.
He stands there for the better part of 3 minutes and team (b) does not come out after him. Is there a rule that says
team (b) must come out after team (A)? If so what rule is it? Thanks for any insight.
WHen my daughter was playing, her coach set this up in one game. They stood there for over three minutes. Us parents were baffled and amazed to see this. Of course, it was nice to cut down on the fouls -- that's probably the longest we ever went without a call.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Jacket, I started one for you! (Gotta come out....)
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Actionless Contest

I'd think the parents would have something to say to the coaches. Remember, there's a reason they are coaching at the level they are.

Mregor
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If team A is up by 6 points, and B is willing to sit there for three minutes, I'm holding the ball, too. Have your players do some dribbling and passing drills or something. It's B's resposibility to decide whether or not they want to win the game.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Delay

Back in the golden olden days the team that was behind had to force the action. If the team that was ahead had one person out past the 26ft line(or was it 28 ft?) the defense had to have one, if the team that was ahead had two people out then the defense had to have two, but if the team that was ahead had three out the defense only had to have two. You would count to five seconds and then give a visual signal and say to the team that was behind, "defense play ball" and if they didn't come out within a five second count give them a technical foul. This rule is probably what people may have been thinking about in your situation but it no longer applies. I actually had to assess a technical foul in a regional semi-final for this rule. The team had no idea what the warning was for and 5 seconds did not allow the coach enough time to communicate to his team in a gym that was off the decibel charts. The technical came at a critical time in the last minute of play and may have been a deciding factor in the game but that was the rule and we do what we are hired to do. 99% of the people at the game had no idea what the technical was all about.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 04:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm glad they changed that rule. It makes no sense to me to have officials force people to play defense a certain way.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 04:18pm
If you need me, text me!

I had a boys varisty team win the tap last year and then hold the ball for 7:45 to open the game. They then proceeded to throw their first pass out of bounds. B failed to score on their possession and we started the second quarter 0-0. I figure I'll never see that again.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

ecreferee,
Having seen coaches impliment this strategy (not to that degree, however), I'm going to assume that the team that won the tap did not win the game. Nor even come close.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Consider yourself fortunate that you got paid for doing essentially nothing. I'm ALWAYS hoping I get one of these...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I have played teams that like to sink back into a compressed zone and cramp our style. At that point, all you have are outside shots, which you aren't inclined to tae with a lead. I have never had my team hold the ball, but if I had the lead, I would force the defense to extend so we can play our game. And if they won't do it, they will lose. That is their choice.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:11am
Esteemed Participant

We had a local HS boys varsity coach (he's retired now, thankfully) who would regularly go into a 4-corner offense any time he had a 4 point or more lead in the second half...he won several state titles that way...in one game, he came out of the locker room to start the third quarter (his team had a 9 or 10 point lead and was getting the ball to start the third) pushing these two "teacher" style desk chairs - you know, the leather swivel/lean back type chairs...he pushed them out onto the court - one on the baseline and one at half-court and then smiled at my partner and I and said "Just wanted you guys to be comfortable this half, because we aren't going anywhere"...there were two shots taken the third quarter - his team took one with just a few seconds left and then the other team heaved it length of the court to end the quarter...both missed...4th quarter wasn't much better...final score was low 20's to high teens...boring. Oh, we made him move the chairs - after sharing a laugh with him...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Re: Delay

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
Back in the golden olden days the team that was behind had to force the action. If the team that was ahead had one person out past the 26ft line(or was it 28 ft?) the defense had to have one, if the team that was ahead had two people out then the defense had to have two, but if the team that was ahead had three out the defense only had to have two. You would count to five seconds and then give a visual signal and say to the team that was behind, "defense play ball" ...
DJ,

I believe the actual time limit for which we had to count to before giving the command was 10 seconds, and as I recall we were supposed to point in the direction the offending team needed to move (towards the offensive player with the ball) and say "play ball!" Anyway, if my memory serves me, that's what I recall.