The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Last year rule 9-7 was changed to delete the requirement for the three second count to be terminated during an interupted dribbled. It said that since team control was still in effect, the count should continue. In this years rules books however, it makes no mention of this rule change. It states that you will have no count during an interupted dribble. Has this rule changed back to the old way, where team control had to exist, or did they just over look it when publishing this years book. There was also a question on the part 2 test this year about this. How did everyone answer it?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

In the case book on page 67 (top of page), under the three second rule, it says that there is no three-second count during rebounding action or during a throw-in or interrupted dribble.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcooley66
It states that you will have no count during an interupted dribble.
My rule book doesn't say that.

9-7
ART. 1...A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt.
ART. 2...The three-second restriction applies to a player who has only one foot touching the lane boundary. The line is part of the lane. All lines designating the free-throw lane, but not lane-space marks and neutral-zone marks, are part of the lane.
ART. 3...Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. My rule book says the same as yours. The confusion comes in the case book on page 67, where it says like in my second thread that there is no three-second count durring an interrupted dribble.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the correction from the NFHS website:

"Printing Errors and Corrections: Case Book: page 66-67, 9.7.2: Delete the last three words, “or interrupted dribble,” in the second to the last sentence of the ruling."

This is a printing error in this and last years casebook.