The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Real Scenario:
Player A in the Bonus was shooting 1and1, he missed the freethrow and B rebounds the ball. B goes down on a break a scores a basket.

The Buzzer sounds...

It seems that Team A was in the double Bonus and was intitled to 2 freethrows. So we allowed Team A to take it final throw (and make the freethrow) and then Team A took the ball out in the BC and allowed to run the baseline.

Did we screw this up?

One more question to add to the scenario and make a complex situation worse...

How would you have handled it, if Team A would have missed the SECOND freethrow? (with the rebound up for grabs)
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It depends on the meaning of the rules book 2.10.6, where it says, "If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw and there has been no cnahge of team possession since the error was made." If change of possession means from team A as they shoot to team B on the rebound, then change of possession has occurred and you should have let the free throw go as any other. If change of possession means from the rebound on, in other words, Team B kept it the whole time until the next dead ball when the error was recognized, then I think you did it right! According to 2.10.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

i agree that you got the play correct. However you got lucky in the sense that if the error had been noticed before team B scored, then you would have had take the ball away from B and go back and shot the second free throw and then play on.(just think of what could have happened if team A missed the second shot and then got an offensive rebound)

AWAY MAKE SURE ON THE 9TH TEAM FOUL THAT IT IS ACTUALLY 9 AND NOT 10, PREVENTATIVE OFFICIATING !!!!

keep smiling
SH

[Edited by hoopsrefBC on Nov 30th, 2000 at 02:49 AM]
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 03:53am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Change of possession means the first option that you listed - B getting the rebound of the 1-and-1.

If Team B had gotten the rebound and the timer had buzzed as they were crossing half-court, you would go shoot the final free throw with no players on the lane, and then award the ball to Team B for a spot throw-in on the sideline.

If Team A had gotten the rebound and the error was noticed before a change of possession (and within the time limitations of 2.10, of course) then you would shoot the final free throw with the players along the lane and "play on" from that point.

Whatever you do, make sure that you bring both coaches together and explain (briefly) what you are about to do and why. A good way to start is "By rule..."
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Question What would you do...

if Team A had missed the second shot and gotten the offensive rebound? If the point of interuption was Team B in their front court with the ball? Ultimately, you would have to take the ball from someone...
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Brad for the...

Intro dialouge...Now that's something that I can really incorp into my game.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: What would you do...

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF
if Team A had missed the second shot and gotten the offensive rebound? If the point of interuption was Team B in their front court with the ball? Ultimately, you would have to take the ball from someone...
By "second shot", I assume you mean the shot to which A was entitled, but didn't take the first time.

If that's true, then that shot is taken with no one on the line (since B got the first rebound -- and that's the change of posession). After the shot, whether it's made or missed, the ball is put back in play at the point of interruption. In this case, that's A's ball on the end-line under B's basket (since B made the basket after getting the rebound from the first throw).

(caveat -- these are NFHS and NCAA rules. From your name, you might use FIBA rules, and those might be different.)
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 02:16pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
However you got lucky in the sense that if the error had been noticed before team B scored, then you would have had take the ball away from B and go back and shot the second free throw and then play on.(just think of what could have happened if team A missed the second shot and then got an offensive rebound)
If the error was discovered when B had the ball before they scored (for instance, the timer buzzes as B1 is dribbling the ball across half-court) you would stop the game, shoot the final free throw with no players along the lane, and then award the ball back to Team B via a spot throw-in.

If, however, as you mentioned, Team A got the offensive rebound and the error was noticed, you would shoot the final free throw WITH players along the lane and would continue from that point. Why? There was no cahnge of possession.

That is an important point to understand. The initial possession is by Team A on the free throw. A rebound by Team A means no change of possession, but a rebound by Team B is a change of possession.

Furthermore, the change of possession indicates the act taking place, I believe, not which team has the ball. For instance, if Team B had gotten the rebound and then lost the ball out of bounds, and the error discovered at that moment, you would shoot the final free throw with NO players along the lane and the award the ball back to Team A via a spot throw-in. Why? Because there was a change of possession - from Team A to Team B. There was another one after that (when Team B lost the ball out of bounds). You can't wipe off that violation by Team B because of the correctable error, so you have to give the ball back to Team A.

So, does anyone know the maximum amount of time that can pass before you can no longer correct an error (as defined in 2.10)??
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Time Limit

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt
So, does anyone know the maximum amount of time that can pass before you can no longer correct an error (as defined in 2.10)??
There isn't a time limit. 2.10.2 just says when the error must be recognized in relation to dead ball(s).

Technically, the limit is 8:00 minutes, assuming the period starts with an incorrect free-throw, and the ball does not become dead all period long. If anyone has seen this, please let me know.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Once, about 4 or 5 years ago my partner and I went one whole period with out a single whistle.

Had a much weirder one the other night, JV game. 79-0.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Brian, did anyone score in that period? The time limit has to do with dead ball(s) and whether the error occurred with the clock running or with the clock stopped. You can have a dead ball and not have any whistles throughout the quarter (i.e. made basket).
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Once, about 4 or 5 years ago my partner and I went one whole period with out a single whistle.

Had a much weirder one the other night, JV game. 79-0.
I gotta ask...

Did the losing coach blame you for the loss?

:-)
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Forgot all about the ball becoming dead after a bucket, brain cramp! Actually here were very few. The one team had two horses put down because of grades and must have spent 20 hours studying Deans' four corners. One of the most boring games I ever called.

As for the other night, the losing coach was much better than I thought. He wanted a couple illegal screens, but bouncing off a pick is not illeal, it just means you're small. It was a case of bigger, more talented girls playing basically freshman. Still, I had never worked a shut out before.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2000, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
The one team had two horses put down because of grades and must have spent 20 hours studying Deans' four corners. One of the most boring games I ever called.

HEY! Let's watch the Dean cracks!
Old Sat Dec 02, 2000, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by walter
Brian, did anyone score in that period? The time limit has to do with dead ball(s) and whether the error occurred with the clock running or with the clock stopped. You can have a dead ball and not have any whistles throughout the quarter (i.e. made basket).
Oh, no! Here I was feeling so smug because of all the time I spent this summer working on memorizing the correctable error stuff, and now I've got it wrong!?!?!?

Are you saying that as soon as a basket is made that dead ball counts and then the error is no longer correctable? I'm feeling very confused!

juulie