The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I do not know if I can put it into words, but I will give an example. Team A has the ball in its front court. A1 (he/she could be the 6'-06" center or the 5'-06" point guard) is standing at the free throw line to set a screen. A1 has one foot about four inches into the paint. Tweet!! Three seconds. How does this effect the play? I hope this answers your question.
I understand advantage/disadvantage. What I'm asking you is why do you feel it should only apply to 3 seconds and not other violations? I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Here's an example for you. A1 is dribbling the ball up the floor, still in the BC. The defense is packed back in a tight zone with the closest defender 40' away from A1. While dribbling, A1 carries the ball on one dribble.

Are you going to call that? How does this effect the play? It's no different than the play you describe feom an advantage/disadvantage viewpoint. If you don't call it, then you've applied advantage/disadvantage.

Comments?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:07am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I do not know if I can put it into words, but I will give an example. Team A has the ball in its front court. A1 (he/she could be the 6'-06" center or the 5'-06" point guard) is standing at the free throw line to set a screen. A1 has one foot about four inches into the paint. Tweet!! Three seconds. How does this effect the play? I hope this answers your question.
I understand advantage/disadvantage. What I'm asking you is why do you feel it should only apply to 3 seconds and not other violations? I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Here's an example for you. A1 is dribbling the ball up the floor, still in the BC. The defense is packed back in a tight zone with the closest defender 40' away from A1. While dribbling, A1 carries the ball on one dribble.

Are you going to call that? How does this effect the play? It's no different than the play you describe feom an advantage/disadvantage viewpoint. If you don't call it, then you've applied advantage/disadvantage.

Comments?

I don't know about you, but I am going to call the violation on A1 in your play. I think the difference is that 3 seconds is a violation that is normally associated with a player that does not have control of the ball. Its just one of those I know it when I see it type of plays. And I don't see it very often.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

There's no rationale to that type of logic.

You ignore the 3 second call because you don't like the rule, yet you call the palming.

That is no difference whatsoever, with regards to advantage/disadvantage in the two plays. But you apply it to one and not the other.

BTW, I disagree with that 3 seconds will be eliminated. In a day when rough play is a POE every year, the NF is not going to eliminate a rule that will lead to increased rough play in the lane.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:38am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
But that play gets passed on so much that a lot (maybe most) coaches and players just assume it's legal. Not in my game. Oh well.
Me too, Chuck. This is exactly the answer that I was looking for. As to the original post, I was not referring to low level, "They can't help it!" calls, but more the high school star trying to duplicate the move he saw on tv call. As for the 2 steps on a shot thing, I have said before that under a microscope I think probably well over half of all layups could be called a travel, but if you have doubt, you have to let it go. (if it mighta been a travel, it ain't a travel) BUT, when a player slows the whole thing down and is obviously standing flat footed and then takes his "only two more steps" my whistle goes off by itself. ALSO, when a player is shooting a layup but incorporates a 360 degree turn into it, I don't recall seeing that done legally in high school very often. "I know Penny Hardaway does it, but you ain't him."

Thanks guys, I feel better now.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

I wouldn't call the palming -- because I wouldn't even be watching an unattended dribbler. To me that seems to be a waste of a pair of eyes.

Not saying that I haven't had interesting moments -- girls varsity last season, girl bringing ball up court. All of a sudden lead partner blows whistle and calls a double dribble on the ball carrier. I wasn't watching her -- and it was apparent that for some reason she forgot how to bring the ball up the floor.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I called an 8th grade tourny this weekend... I wait and see if they gained anything by three seconds or if the post play is bad for three seconds. Someone camping out not getting anything... now a girl has been in the lane 4 maybe 5 seconds - basically longer than 3) and she gets a ball bam - 3 seconds... even if she was there for longer. My mentor, as big of a jerk he can be when talking to me sometimes (I dont mind it because his son told me today that his dad just wants to see me be a GREAT official somewhere someday because he's my potential so he's just harder on me than the rest of the guys -always in private though), is really trying to get me into the advantage/disadvangte frame of mind for officiating and so far to me, its the ONLY way to officiate basketball.

in 6 games this weeked (for this particular tournament) i called 8 3-seconds... in 2 games in another tourny I called 2 and they were in the 1st game.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 01:34am
We don't rent pigs

I gotta ask

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
in 6 games this weeked (for this particular tournament) i called 8 3-seconds... in 2 games in another tourny I called 2 and they were in the 1st game.
You just remember all this or is somebody writing your biography or what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Three seconds is about flow, about spacing,

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a helluva reason.

But actually, I was hoping for a straight answer.
Now for the straight answer. I do call 3 seconds, but not very many, not because I do not believe in calling 3 seconds, but I think that the call is too often not called correctly, and it is my opinion that eventually, that 3 seconds will be removed from the rules.
But my question is why do you think advantage/disadvantage should be applied to 3 seconds but not other violations? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm just curious about that philosophy.
about balance of opportunity. It is a critical element of the game as we know it. If you have ever watched playground play - where it is more loosely called by the players themselves, if at all - you can see what a sumo-effect it has, everybody standing around wrassling for position.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Had that happen ... incorrectly!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I wouldn't call the palming -- because I wouldn't even be watching an unattended dribbler. To me that seems to be a waste of a pair of eyes.

Not saying that I haven't had interesting moments -- girls varsity last season, girl bringing ball up court. All of a sudden lead partner blows whistle and calls a double dribble on the ball carrier. I wasn't watching her -- and it was apparent that for some reason she forgot how to bring the ball up the floor.

I had one last week, and it drives me crazy. I'm trail in three man crew and A1 catches pass in FC and stumbles with his left foot, but maintains his pivot right foot.

I'm trailing the play since it was a long pass but I am watching the pivot foot and my C calls traveling.

It looked like he traveled but he did not.

I see this happen way too much. Officials call traveling when it looks like it and not actually when they've traveled.

And it could be because it was right in front of the bench and the coach was calling for a travel etc.,

But, still that doesn't make it the right call.

As far as traveling I think we do a pretty good job of calling in the front court, but I think we miss way too many in the paint.

Thanks
DAvid
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Chuck,

I'm definitely with you on this point. I call travelling all of the time on shooters that have to "set their feet" by taking two steps to get a shot off!! I get a look from them like, "what??". All you have to do is watch them warm up and it is unbelievable how they can't take a shot without travelling first. If I was a coach, I would tell the players they were doing this. But that would make too much sense for a coach to do something like that. I believe that these travels have to be called because the player is definitely gaining an advantage by adjusting both feet. Why aren't all officials calling this play correctly? I especially like the player catching the ball inside the arc and taking two steps back to get behind the line and launching a shot!!

"keep 'em straight up"
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
JAR - I tend to remeber my numbers pretty good so I could break down the game in my head on the way home. And when the highest scoring game that you call out of the whole two weekend is 29 28(OT BABY!) You remeber the little things like that (or atleast I do).

Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 04:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Never guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

I miss some, pass some, but never guess 'em.
I am pretty much with Mick on this on. But get the obvious ones, the others are not so important in my opinion.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 06:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
Chuck,

I'm definitely with you on this point. I call travelling all of the time on shooters that have to "set their feet" by taking two steps to get a shot off!! I get a look from them like, "what??". All you have to do is watch them warm up and it is unbelievable how they can't take a shot without travelling first. If I was a coach, I would tell the players they were doing this. But that would make too much sense for a coach to do something like that. I believe that these travels have to be called because the player is definitely gaining an advantage by adjusting both feet. Why aren't all officials calling this play correctly? I especially like the player catching the ball inside the arc and taking two steps back to get behind the line and launching a shot!!

"keep 'em straight up"
I'm not a coach, but I played for a few, and I've reffed for quite a few. I'd say for a lot of them the problem is that the players don't believe them until it gets called by a ref. Of course, at the high school (or even upper AAU) level, the coaches should have sufficient control and authority to enforce this themselves.

Adam