The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Situation:

In a game your partner is getting (justified or not) heat from a coach. Your aware - you hear it.

Would you ever call the "T" on a coach in this situation for something (s)he was directing to your partner? ...and partner was ignoring?

If partner takes it/ignores it, should you?

Would you make the call for what you observed or heard in this situation?
Old Fri Dec 26, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

There is more info needed;how experienced is my partner,how
over-the-top is the coach,is the coach insighting his players and/or fans with his actions?

Also,remember that are only friend out there is our partner,so if the coach deserves one,give him one.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Communicate

Usually if a coach is getting 'warmed up,' I'll check with my partner at a time-out or quarter and let him know where I stand with it. To answer your question, there are certain buttons that if a coach pushes them, I'll hit him with the T whether he's working me or my partner, especially if my partner is out of earshot. Had a coach last year yell at my partner, "JC! You guys have missed every single call tonight!" To this day, I wish I had T'd him up, even though my partner ignored it.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm closer, I'll get him.
But I'm not throwing one over his head.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with BktBallRef. If my partner is closest and he does not do anything, then he will have to take it. Now, if I am closest, then I'll take care of it.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game a few weeks back where the assitant came unglued at me for a no-call. He was off the bench and onto the floor a couple of feet ranting. I warned the head coach that I wouldn't tolerate such behavior from an assistant. Later in the game, the assistant went after my partner (who was at L on the bench side of the floor). My partner didn't T him.

BBR, In a case like this where you have already warned the head coach about his assistant, would you have gotten him? Or would you still let your partner handle him?
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

With regards to the play where the assistant coach got off the bench and onto the floor, you could've technically gave a 'T' right there. But, in practice I'd probably give a warning to him or the head coach, too. However, the 2nd time he got up off the bench I think it needs to be dealt with more forcefully because clearly your goodwill gesture to talk to the head coach didn't work.

If my partner(s) don't 'T' the assistant that 2nd time, then I'd step up and do it because game management-wise you can't be upstaged in this manner.

I think what's important in this situation is communication with your partner(s). If you had a deadball situation where you could talk to the head coach, then you had an opportunity to tell your parner(s) that you gave a warning and the next time it's a technical foul. If you did this and your partner still doesn't call a technical, then you lose credibility as a crew.

The coach can't and won't argue this technical because you gave an appropriate warning. He knew it was coming and the whole gym knew it was coming. His problem should be with his assistant.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

As soon as any of team bench, eg. coach, player, assistant coach, or follower steps on the court, there should be no warning, but an automatic Tech. Who's in control of the game?
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down I agree with Dribble and NICK.

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Had a game a few weeks back where the assitant came unglued at me for a no-call. He was off the bench and onto the floor a couple of feet ranting. I warned the head coach that I wouldn't tolerate such behavior from an assistant. Later in the game, the assistant went after my partner (who was at L on the bench side of the floor). My partner didn't T him.

BBR, In a case like this where you have already warned the head coach about his assistant, would you have gotten him? Or would you still let your partner handle him?
No, you should have busted him the first time.

Don't give warnings for assistants who stand and yell.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Agree...

Assistants have NO STANDING whatsoever. Up off the bench yelling like an idiot? WHACK. On the floor? WHACK.

Any slack you extend to the head coach does not extend to his minions. They can talk to their own players. Otherwise, they have the right to sit down and shut up.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
First time...Look right into the head coaches eyes and say, "Coach, are you gonna take care of that or do I need to?" I've used this line MANY times regarding bench personnel, assistants, and even players on the floor. I've never not had a coach take control. If they do it a second time, BANG!
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game the other night where in our pregame the two of us found out that we were very different on T's and what we tolerated from coaches. He tells me how many T's he has already given in December and it was quite a few. We decided that unless certain lines were crossed that we both agreed to (per our discussion) we would talk before T's. Then when we talk to the coaches he all of a sudden tells the coaches that they are only allowed one foot out of the box and if he sees both feet out it is an immediate T. I'm wondering where this came from after our pregame talk on this very issue? Then in the first quarter, after he calls two travels on the visisting team we came back down and with me as trail in front of the visisitng bench they steal the ball and travel. He calls it, his area, a good call and the vising coach stands up, stays in the box, and says "Another travel, come on" and sits down. He does not even yell it, thorw up his hands or anything. My partner getting ready to administer the throw in gets this "look" on his face and starts walking from the other side of the court towards me and the visiting coach. I intercepted him at the free throw line and ask what is going on. He tells me that he is coming over to T the coach. I told him that I will take care of the bench when I am standing by them. I sent him back but spent the game trying to keep him under control and to not call T's on the coaches for what I felt were pretty innocuos statements. There was no languagge, inciting the fans, etc from the coaches.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Thin Skin!
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 02:55pm
Huck Finn

Rcwilco, that is kind of funny. There are officials who love to give T's, officials who are scared to give T's and officials who don't go looking for them but don't hesitate to give them. He obviously has the T in his "tool bag" right next to travel and foul calls. A T on a coach will be obvious to everyone in the building with the exception of a coach saying you are cheating or something personal. For your partner to come across the court to issue a T it should be obvious and you should have had your back to the coach.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I HATE giving T's I really do. But I dont hesitate one bit... ok I did last week and thats because I felt like whacking the coach would make matters worse. So I didnt but later I wish I had soo.... yeah. I really dont go into a game with "t" ears. But it seems I've given more than I've wanted to in the first half of the season. But asking around other people have had problems with the coaches and teams too so its not just me :-D