The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

A few interesting (to me, anyway) NCAAM interps relating to discussions on this (and other) boards over the past several weeks:

1) Intentional fouls. There has been definite improvement by officials in calling intentional fouls
for excessive contact by a defender who is playing the man or the ball. There has been little
improvement in calling intentional fouls near the end of the game when a defender blatantly does
not play the ball but simply grabs or pushes an opponent with or without the ball. While most
strategic fouls near the end of the game can be categorized as common fouls, officials must call
intentional fouls when it is obvious that a defender absolutely makes no attempt to play his
opponent legitimately.

2) Last second shots. There has been no change in rule or procedure concerning a successful try for
goal near the expiration of the game clock at the end of the half or at the end of the game. The
official responsible for determining the status of the last second shot must make a call that either
allows or disallows the goal. Then the officials, by rule, must review the play on a television
monitor if such equipment is available in order to ascertain whether a correct call has been made
by the responsible official. The officials and game management must instruct the coaches and
players to remain at their respective benches and, if necessary, clear the floor of spectators while
the play is reviewed by the officials. The coaches are not participants in the review. Once the
officials decide they have the information they need, the referee will then inform the coaches
whether the original call stands or whether the call is changed.

3) Injured Player; Bleeding Player/Blood on Body; Blood Saturated Uniform. When a timeout is granted
for (a) injured player (b) bleeding player/blood on body (c)blood saturated uniform, and after the
final horn that indicates the expiration of that timeout, the following are in effect:
a. The player shall be permitted to resume play only when his team was granted the
timeout.
b. Either player shall be permitted to resume play if opponents incur any of the
above conditions at the same time and either team requested and was granted a
time out.
c. An immediate substitution shall be required if the player is not ready to resume
play. The opponents shall be permitted to counter with a substitution.

4) Rulebook Clarification
Rule 9-11.6. In accordance with Rule 9-11.6, a player shall be permitted to be the first to secure
control of the ball after a jump ball or throw-in while both feet are off the playing court and the
player lands with one or both feet in the backcourt. In such a case, the player has not caused the
ball to go into the backcourt.
However, if that player does anything other than what is permitted by Rule 9-11.6, that player
has caused the ball to go into the backcourt when either he or a teammate are the first to touch
the ball (Interpretation: NCAA memorandum, December 10, 2003, page 8).
Example: Player throws a pass which is first touched by a teammate in the backcourt.

(edited to add the correct point #2)

[Edited by bob jenkins on Jan 8th, 2004 at 11:15 AM]
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I feel like I'm doing a good job with (1), but still need to work on (2)

On a serious note, I don't understand the last part of the post.

Quote:
However, if that player does anything other than what is permitted by Rule 9-11.6, that player
has caused the ball to go into the backcourt when either he or a teammate are the first to touch
Example: Player throws a pass which is first touched by a teammate in the backcourt.
A2 jumps from his frontcourt and secures control of A1's throw-in pass while airborne. A2 then lands with one or both feet in the backcourt. So far, he's fine.

Is the bold "Example" above saying that if A2 now passes to A3 who is also in the backcourt, this is a violation? Or, as I think is more likely, if A2 secures the ball while airborne and then (before landing in the backcourt) passes to A3 in the backcourt, then this is a violation?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I feel like I'm doing a good job with (1), but still need to work on (2)

On a serious note, I don't understand the last part of the post.

Quote:
A2 jumps from his frontcourt and secures control of A1's throw-in pass while airborne. A2 then lands with one or both feet in the backcourt. So far, he's fine.

Is the bold "Example" above saying that if A2 now passes to A3 who is also in the backcourt, this is a violation? Or, as I think is more likely, if A2 secures the ball while airborne and then (before landing in the backcourt) passes to A3 in the backcourt, then this is a violation?
The example is saying that if A2 passes to A3 before landing in the BC, it's a violation. THat's consistent with NF as well.

BTW, I'm not having trouble with #2 but #1 is difficult to enforce.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Yes...

Yes...

The differences are very, very subtle.

Perhaps if Bob could clarify we could shorten his list to only 3 items. I guess only three could still be considered as a "few."

"A few interesting (to me, anyway) NCAAM interps..."
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Some of my "professional" success is due to employing Bob's technique of padding content with redundant informaton. In addition, I've found it a good tool to include items that are similar, identical and not all that different from preceedng items in order to "beef up" my reports. Summing up, some of my "professional" success is due to employing Bob's technique of padding content with redundant informaton.

BTW, I agree with Tony on the point of the backcourt thing. Furthermore...(I'm starting to feel like DeNucci..someone stop me before I quote the 1973 case book!!!!)
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

There used to be an NCAA interp / rule that a player catching the throw-in pass in the air could pass the ball (before landing) to a player in the back-court and this would be legal.

I think this was taken out when the rule books were rewritten about 5 years ago. Some organizations have written since then that the NCAA rule and the FED rule are still different -- the interp makes it clear that they are the same, imho.

(and, I edited my original post to add the correct point #2 -- apparently I was having a little trouble with the cut-and-paste this morning.)