The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Last night watching the boys varsity games before my girls varsity game. Player for team A shoots in a crowd, ball halfway down through the net whens teammate A toches the net accidently

No call. Opposing coach goes nuts yelling at the lead. Not his call. The trail msut ahve thought it had no effect on the shot in anyway.

The touching had no effect on the shot, but by rule it appeared to be basket interference.

Opinions/ clarification welcome

Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, it's BI.

Makes no difference whether it has an effect on the shot or not.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

By rule BI...but, I don't see alot of veterans calling it.

Overheard a couple veterans discussing a possible BI play.

One Veteran said he had a play the other day that involved a player (B1) swatting at the ball as the player on offense (A1) was shooting a lay-up.

A1 missed the lay-up. The Coach for Team A said it was because B1 had "rattled" the backboard so hard that it made the ball come out of the basket.

B1 had attempted a blocked shot and hit the backboard. The veteran official said that it rattled the board pretty good, but he said he's got nuttin'.

The other veteran official said he could have called Basket Interference...

I got nothing, or if I think it was an attempt to rattle the backboard as opposed to an actual block...I got a "T".

Comments?

RD
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
The other veteran official said he could have called Basket Interference...
It could be a lot of things but BI ain't one of 'em.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

What are some other things you could call in that situation other than a "T"?

RD
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

It could be a missed shot.

It could be a made shot.

It could be a T.

It could not be BI.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef et al-->

If, in this case, the ball goes through the hoop anyways, do you just let the play go to keep the flow, or do you blow it dead anyways?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
BktBallRef et al-->

If, in this case, the ball goes through the hoop anyways, do you just let the play go to keep the flow, or do you blow it dead anyways?
What do you mean by "in this case?"

If you mean "touching the net while the ball is in the net" (the first play posted), I usually let it go.

If you mean "slapping the backboard" (the second play posted), then whether the ball goes through the hoop or not has no bearing on the call. If it's intentional, I call it. If it's accidental, I don't.

Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
BktBallRef et al-->

What do you mean by "in this case?"

If you mean "touching the net while the ball is in the net" (the first play posted), I usually let it go.
In the first play posted, the net was touched by a teammate of the shooter. Do you let that go?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

As Bob implied, unless the ball is in the net and the defense knocks it out, I usually ignore this. But if the ball is sitting on the rim and the net is hit, it needs to be called, no matter who touches it.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not disagreeing with this. Just wanting to be sure what Bob meant. When the ball is up in that general vicinity, there are arms and hands swinging all over the place, and it frequently happens that there is an accidental brush by either side. I can't see calling those. When DOES one call offensive BI?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm not disagreeing with this. Just wanting to be sure what Bob meant. When the ball is up in that general vicinity, there are arms and hands swinging all over the place, and it frequently happens that there is an accidental brush by either side. I can't see calling those. When DOES one call offensive BI?
If the ball is sitting on the rim, touching or hitting the net could affect whether the ball falls through or not. Insuch a case, BI needs to be called, no matter who hits the net.

If the ball is in the net and obviously going through, I wouldn't make a call unless the action forced the ball back out.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
If the ball is sitting on the rim, touching or hitting the net could affect whether the ball falls through or not. Insuch a case, BI needs to be called, no matter who hits the net.

If the ball is in the net and obviously going through, I wouldn't make a call unless the action forced the ball back out.
Okay, thanks. I don't see much of this, except when I work boys Varsity in the summer. But I do want to have a feel for it, just in case.