The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 02:48pm
We don't rent pigs

stop clock signal

Isn't the reason for the stop clock signal for the extremely loud situation when the whistle might not be heard? If so I don't see how you can drop this signal or why you would be more likely to do so for out of bounds than for any other call. Having said all this I believe that there are some who function as timekeepers that probably do not even know what the raised hand means.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: stop clock signal

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Isn't the reason for the stop clock signal for the extremely loud situation when the whistle might not be heard? If so I don't see how you can drop this signal or why you would be more likely to do so for out of bounds than for any other call. Having said all this I believe that there are some who function as timekeepers that probably do not even know what the raised hand means.
Well when I watch TV games, they for some reason seem to not have any problems raising their hands in those games. And I can imagine that the noise is a bit louder than most of us will ever experience. The whistle stops the clock, not the signal.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

When I was coaching, the opposing coach got upset when I had a big lead and called a timeout with a minute to go.

The reason I called the timeout was to get my 16th player into the game. I sent him to the scorer's table with almost 3 minutes left and couldn't get a whistle.

Also, it may be necessary for the coach to call a timeout to instruct the subs that have just gone in at the end of the game.

Don't forget the kids are the reason we are out there.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 03:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Re: Re: stop clock signal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
The whistle stops the clock, not the signal.
I agree, and I think that this is the point I was making in a roundabout way, but the hand up supplements the whistle in case of excessive noise. This is the theory, is it not?
If so, what has changed to make that theory less applicable now and why do some say that this signal could/will be dropped? I understand about PT, (sorta) but we won't see that at high schools around here in my lifetime.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

It might be the theory.

Quote:

I agree, and I think that this is the point I was making in a roundabout way, but the hand up supplements the whistle in case of excessive noise. This is the theory, is it not? If so, what has changed to make that theory less applicable now and why do some say that this signal could/will be dropped? I understand about PT, (sorta) but we won't see that at high schools around here in my lifetime.
It might be, but things change. It worked at the other levels, even before the Precision Timing System was made popular. And there are many places that still do not use it. All the mechanics state at the college level is that you do not need it for out of bounds plays. But I still see it used on travels and other violations.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 04:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
When I was coaching, the opposing coach got upset when I had a big lead and called a timeout with a minute to go.

The reason I called the timeout was to get my 16th player into the game. I sent him to the scorer's table with almost 3 minutes left and couldn't get a whistle.

Also, it may be necessary for the coach to call a timeout to instruct the subs that have just gone in at the end of the game.

Don't forget the kids are the reason we are out there.
Forksref,
Well, I'm out there to relieve stress, ...to blow the stink off.
I agree with your dealing with those subs. I see it quite a bit on my floors, too. Yet don't forget that there was a tongue-cheeky thing goin' on here.
mick
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: stop clock signal

Quote:
the hand up supplements the whistle in case of excessive noise. This is the theory, is it not?
If so, what has changed to make that theory less applicable now ?
Fox40? Precision Time?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 01:36am
We don't rent pigs

Re: Re: Re: Re: stop clock signal

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
the hand up supplements the whistle in case of excessive noise. This is the theory, is it not?
If so, what has changed to make that theory less applicable now ?

Fox40?
Yeah, I guess this is quite a dramatic improvement over the old acme thunderer.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: stop clock signal

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Fox40? Precision Time?

Not always perfect.

The FOX 40 is only loud if you blow it right. If you're off, you get a teeny sound.

Also, the one game where I got to use PTS, I noticed that the clock wasn't stopping on the whistle with one of the refs. I called her over during a timeout, and we realized the microphone had slipped just enough that it couldn't pick up her whistle (or the whistle tone was off). That "safety" feature could have caused more problems at the end of the game than a fan's whistle.