The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Okay am I the only one who thinks this????

I think that NFHS should drop the stop the clock signal and we just point the direction out of bounds or go right to the calls (e.g. jump,travel). Similar to the NCAA.

Next, I think that if a coach has a 15 point lead in the fourth and calls a time out (she told my partner that she was going to use every single time out) it should be a "T".

Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 08:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by garote

Next, I think that if a coach has a 15 point lead in the fourth and calls a time out (she told my partner that she was going to use every single time out) it should be a "T".

Why? She's perfectly within her coaching rights to do that. There's no rule against it, and we aren't supposed to make up our own rules.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think that NFHS should drop the stop the clock signal and we just point the direction out of bounds or go right to the calls (e.g. jump,travel). Similar to the NCAA.
#1, there's no reason to give the stop the clock signal on a held ball, you simply give the jump ball signal.

#2, it will happen eventually but not yet. Just be patient.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you guys pissed her off. Is that what happened? In any case, I agree with JR. There her TOs, she can use them or not use them if she wants to. You can't give her a T because she uses a TO when she's up by 15. That's ridicurous.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I was not aware the ncaa "dropped" (eliminated?) the stop clock signal. It's optional in mens on OOB, I believe women do not do it for OOB.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

This thread is posted as "tongue in cheek thought".

This was a great game. Coach was in a joking mood but said I'm going to use all of them.....No ill will or hard feeling at all even from the coach that was 15 down.

These are just my thoughts. I had no actual problem with her using her time outs. Just thought There out to be a rule.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This thread is posted as "tongue in cheek thought".
Then you might want to include a so we won't think you're mental.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I am mental!!!! I referee basketball for fun!!!!!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I am mental!!!! I referee basketball for fun!!!!!
I'm sure your local schools will be upset with me for mentioning it, but around here we do it for money.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

You get paid to ref!!!!!!!!!! WOW!! I see a great topic for our next association meeting!!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Yeah and we're all getting rich doing it too!!!!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I was not aware the ncaa "dropped" (eliminated?) the stop clock signal. It's optional in mens on OOB, I believe women do not do it for OOB.
For an out-of-bounds call, the "stop clock" is becoming "optional" for me.
mick
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 12:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
#1, there's no reason to give the stop the clock signal on a held ball, you simply give the jump ball signal.

#2, it will happen eventually but not yet. Just be patient.
It'll happen in the year that they can't think of anymore rules revision, so that they may have a reason to issue more rulebooks.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I reffed with a guy in a tournament last week. Everytime there was a held ball, he stopped the clock with arm straight up, then did this overzealous thumbs up signal. It looked really stupid (especially the stop clock part). Unfortunately, it was a girls Jr High game so he had many opportunities to look stupid (IMO).

The only mechanic that bugs me is standing on the far blocks during time outs. I am finding this kind of awkward
(guess it hasn't become second nature yet). Besides, most of the guys I work with either don't seem know about this or are ignoring it.
Glad they got rid of the "bird dog."
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 01:06pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
The only mechanic that bugs me is standing on the far blocks during time outs. I am finding this kind of awkward
(guess it hasn't become second nature yet). Besides, most of the guys I work with either don't seem know about this or are ignoring it.
nine01c,
You stay there !
Don't let "them" pull you down.
mick
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 01:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yeah and we're all getting rich doing it too!!!!
We get paid mileage in some conferences here. Biggest check I've seen this season was $97 for a varsity game. Smallest check was $50 for a varsity game.

I was emailing a guy who does nothing but officiate amateur youth and adult sports. No idea how he can do it -- or live on it, actually.