LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
The speed of light is 186,000 mps (about 1 ft per second) through a vacuum.
Ok, I know I'm missing something here, but how does 186,000 miles per second equal 1 foot per second?
Damn, figure YOU would read it closely!

Make that 1 foot per nanosecond.

(Never trust the bright kids... )
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Electrical pulses break light speed record
22 January 2002

Pulses that travel faster than light have been sent over a significant distance for the first time. Alain Haché and Louis Poirier of the University of Moncton in Canada transmitted the pulses through a 120-metre cable made from a coaxial 'photonic crystal'. The achievement raises hopes that data could travel through electronic communications systems at almost the speed of light (A Haché and L Poirier 2002 Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 518).

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
22 January 2002

Pulses that travel faster than light have been sent over a significant distance for the first time. Alain Haché and Louis Poirier of the University of Moncton in Canada transmitted the pulses through a 120-metre cable made from a coaxial 'photonic crystal'. The achievement raises hopes that data could travel through electronic communications systems at almost the speed of light (A Haché and L Poirier 2002 Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 518).

Interesting. Is this from Woody's link? I still can't get it to work but this must refer to so-called "group velocity" which is well known and does not violate the law that nothing travels faster than light in a vacuum. It's also kinda useless, since what is travelling "faster than light" cannot really be used to transmit signals, in fact what causes this is actually avoided in practice beacause it distorts the original signal. I'm not sure why they say it raises hopes of speeding trasmisson, we can already do that with fiber optics.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
22 January 2002

Interesting. Is this from Woody's link? I still can't get it to work but this must refer to so-called "group velocity" which is well known and does not violate the law that nothing travels faster than light in a vacuum. It's also kinda useless, since what is travelling "faster than light" cannot really be used to transmit signals, in fact what causes this is actually avoided in practice beacause it distorts the original signal. I'm not sure why they say it raises hopes of speeding trasmisson, we can already do that with fiber optics.
Yes, Sparky. It's from Woody's link
Since I estimate a lot, I figgered "186,000 mps?" was close enough for the 100' of wire that electricity had to travel.
Still pretty quick, I think,
While turning off the light switch and jumping into bed, it's always dark before I get there.
mick
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
22 January 2002

Yes, Sparky. It's from Woody's link
Since I estimate a lot, I figgered "186,000 mps?" was close enough for the 100' of wire that electricity had to travel.
Still pretty quick, I think,
While turning off the light switch and jumping into bed, it's always dark before I get there.
mick
Gotcha. I imagine unless your bedroom is the size of Canada even at 10ns per foot of wire the dark would beat you But there are times when that 2ns/ft is a killer.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Where is everyone getting 186 000 m/s? The speed of light in a vacuum is just slightly under 3 x 10^8 m/s.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Where is everyone getting 186 000 m/s? The speed of light in a vacuum is just slightly under 3 x 10^8 m/s.
186,000 miles per second, vs. 3 x 10^8 meters per second, maybe?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Mark, you didn't work on the Hubble, did ya?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, that was the Pathfinder mission to Mars. Dynes + Newtons = big mess!

Don't tell Padgett this, but apparently the past 2 1/2 years of collegiate level science classes have metrified me.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, that was the Pathfinder mission to Mars. Dynes + Newtons = big mess!

Don't tell Padgett this, but apparently the past 2 1/2 years of collegiate level science classes have metrified me.

Kids!
We're using miles not meters.
Call it both ways !