The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have been watching the World Junior Hockey Championships, and have noticed that the officials are wearing ads on the front and backs of their jerseys. I am wondering what is the general thought about officials being used in the advertising process, and would you wear an ad if you had the option??
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hey, I already advertise for IAABO and MIAA -- and I don't even get paid for it. You wanna give me an extra $20k a year and I'll wear your Gillette patch.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hey, I already advertise for IAABO and MIAA -- and I don't even get paid for it. You wanna give me an extra $20k a year and I'll wear your Gillette patch.
...not to mention conference & camp logos on whistles.

Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I have a serious question (seriously) for Mr. Charles Elias- member of IAABO Western Massachusetts District Board #31: Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?

Not funning, Chuck. I'd really like to know.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

NO...

This is AMATUER sports... allowing ads in HS is just another symptom of our deteriorating society (topic for discussion on a different forum )

I realize that I am viewed as a traditionalist or a purist or even more harshly as a "fuddy-duddy" et al.... I refuse to surrender or "sell-out" on my ideals.

For those that may recall, we had a lengthy thread on the decision of ESPN to nationally broadcast "King James" HS games last year. I was one of very few who objected that as well.

Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have a serious question (seriously) for Mr. Charles Elias- member of IAABO Western Massachusetts District Board #31: Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?
[/QUOTE]

If Chuck wears a byron collar or blue slacks (especially with a belt) we will kick him out of Massachusetts.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?

V-neck shirts, JR. Patches for HS games with fellow IAABO officials. No patches for college games or for HS games with non-IAABO officials.

Haven't worn the navy blue pants since being cut from a certain league in February.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?

V-neck shirts, JR. Patches for HS games with fellow IAABO officials. No patches for college games or for HS games with non-IAABO officials.

Haven't worn the navy blue pants since being cut from a certain league in February.

Are you telling me that there was still some people wearing the blue pants with the grey shirts (with the blue collars)?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Does the NBA wear blue or black pants? they look blue.... but then they look black. I can't tell ... and Chuck weren't you being looked at by the NBA or something some time ago?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 02:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:

Are you telling me that there was still some people wearing the blue pants with the grey shirts (with the blue collars)?
Well Mark, I'm telling you and Chuck to open up your 2003-2004 IAABO Handbook to page 2 and read the following under "IAABO Uniforms":
The approved official IAABO uniform, for men and women, established by the Executive Committee of IAABO shall be:
(1) Long navy blue or black slacks.
(2) Light grey short sleeve shirt with navy blue collar, sleeve cuffs, or black/white striped shirt with black collar, and sleeve cuffs."

Apparently, if either of you aren't wearing shirts with byron collars, you are officially out of uniform!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only in a pro league that I worked briefly. I was intentionally vague, sorry. Didn't want to sound like I was trying to be a big dog.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Does the NBA wear blue or black pants?

They're blue, ace.

Quote:
weren't you being looked at by the NBA or something some time ago?
Nah. Just had some fun using their rules for a while.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
open up your 2003-2004 IAABO Handbook to page 2 and read the following under "IAABO Uniforms":
The approved official IAABO uniform, for men and women, established by the Executive Committee of IAABO shall be:
(2) Light grey short sleeve shirt with navy blue collar, sleeve cuffs, or black/white striped shirt with black collar, and sleeve cuffs."

Apparently, if either of you aren't wearing shirts with byron collars, you are officially out of uniform!
That's pretty darn funny, JR. I don't even have an IAABO handbook. Guess I'll have to turn in my patches. Black pants and V-neck shirt. I'm so ashamed
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 08:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well Mark, I'm telling you and Chuck to open up your 2003-2004 IAABO Handbook to page 2 and read the following under "IAABO Uniforms":

Interesting.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Does the NBA wear blue or black pants? they look blue.... but then they look black. I can't tell ... and Chuck weren't you being looked at by the NBA or something some time ago?
In the same sense that people "look at" car wrecks on the highway maybe....