The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officials Used for Advertising (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11527-officials-used-advertising.html)

ref18 Mon Jan 05, 2004 09:46pm

I have been watching the World Junior Hockey Championships, and have noticed that the officials are wearing ads on the front and backs of their jerseys. I am wondering what is the general thought about officials being used in the advertising process, and would you wear an ad if you had the option??

ChuckElias Mon Jan 05, 2004 09:49pm

Hey, I already advertise for IAABO and MIAA -- and I don't even get paid for it. You wanna give me an extra $20k a year and I'll wear your Gillette patch. :)

Dan_ref Mon Jan 05, 2004 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hey, I already advertise for IAABO and MIAA -- and I don't even get paid for it. You wanna give me an extra $20k a year and I'll wear your Gillette patch. :)
...not to mention conference & camp logos on whistles.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 05, 2004 09:56pm

Quote:

Hey, I already advertise for IAABO and MIAA -- and I don't even get paid for it. You wanna give me an extra $20k a year and I'll wear your Gillette patch.

I have a serious question (seriously) for Mr. Charles Elias- member of IAABO Western Massachusetts District Board #31: Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?

Not funning, Chuck. I'd really like to know.

williebfree Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:06pm

NO...

This is AMATUER sports... allowing ads in HS is just another symptom of our deteriorating society (topic for discussion on a different forum :))

I realize that I am viewed as a traditionalist or a purist or even more harshly as a "fuddy-duddy" et al.... I refuse to surrender or "sell-out" on my ideals.

For those that may recall, we had a lengthy thread on the decision of ESPN to nationally broadcast "King James" HS games last year. I was one of very few who objected that as well.

nine01c Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:28pm

I have a serious question (seriously) for Mr. Charles Elias- member of IAABO Western Massachusetts District Board #31: Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?
[/QUOTE]

If Chuck wears a byron collar or blue slacks (especially with a belt) we will kick him out of Massachusetts.

ChuckElias Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?

V-neck shirts, JR. Patches for HS games with fellow IAABO officials. No patches for college games or for HS games with non-IAABO officials.

Haven't worn the navy blue pants since being cut from a certain league in February.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:21pm

Quote:

Quote:

Do you have byron collars on your IAABO shirts? Do you wear navy blue or black slacks with your IAABO shirt?

V-neck shirts, JR. Patches for HS games with fellow IAABO officials. No patches for college games or for HS games with non-IAABO officials.

Haven't worn the navy blue pants since being cut from a certain league in February.

Are you telling me that there was still some people wearing the blue pants with the grey shirts (with the blue collars)?

ace Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:35pm

Does the NBA wear blue or black pants? they look blue.... but then they look black. I can't tell ... and Chuck weren't you being looked at by the NBA or something some time ago?

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 06, 2004 02:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Quote:

Are you telling me that there was still some people wearing the blue pants with the grey shirts (with the blue collars)?

Well Mark, I'm telling you and Chuck to open up your 2003-2004 IAABO Handbook to page 2 and read the following under "IAABO Uniforms":
<i>The <b>approved official</b> IAABO uniform, for men and women, established by the Executive Committee of IAABO shall be:
(1) Long <b>navy blue</b> or black slacks.
(2) Light grey short sleeve shirt with navy blue collar, sleeve cuffs, or black/white striped shirt <b>with black collar</b>, and sleeve cuffs."</i>

Apparently, if either of you aren't wearing shirts with byron collars, you are officially out of uniform!

ChuckElias Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:33am

Quote:

Only in a pro league that I worked briefly. I was intentionally vague, sorry. Didn't want to sound like I was trying to be a big dog. :)

ChuckElias Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Does the NBA wear blue or black pants?

They're blue, ace.

Quote:

weren't you being looked at by the NBA or something some time ago?
Nah. Just had some fun using their rules for a while. :)

ChuckElias Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:36am

Quote:

open up your 2003-2004 IAABO Handbook to page 2 and read the following under "IAABO Uniforms":
<i>The <b>approved official</b> IAABO uniform, for men and women, established by the Executive Committee of IAABO shall be:
(2) Light grey short sleeve shirt with navy blue collar, sleeve cuffs, or black/white striped shirt <b>with black collar</b>, and sleeve cuffs."</i>

Apparently, if either of you aren't wearing shirts with byron collars, you are officially out of uniform!

That's pretty darn funny, JR. I don't even have an IAABO handbook. Guess I'll have to turn in my patches. Black pants and V-neck shirt. I'm so ashamed :o

mick Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:53am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well Mark, I'm telling you and Chuck to open up your 2003-2004 IAABO Handbook to page 2 and read the following under "IAABO Uniforms":

Interesting.

Dan_ref Tue Jan 06, 2004 09:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Does the NBA wear blue or black pants? they look blue.... but then they look black. I can't tell ... and Chuck weren't you being looked at by the NBA or something some time ago?
In the same sense that people "look at" car wrecks on the highway maybe.... :p