The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Last night partner (Referee) is checking book prior to 10 min. mark. Discovers visting coach has not designated starters. He can't find coach in order to get info. He then instructs timer to stop clock which is now at 10:27. Timer does so and a min. or two later he is able to locate coach and get info into book. Clock is started.

Good game management or not?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 12:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Last night partner (Referee) is checking book prior to 10 min. mark. Discovers visting coach has not designated starters. He can't find coach in order to get info. He then instructs timer to stop clock which is now at 10:27. Timer does so and a min. or two later he is able to locate coach and get info into book. Clock is started.

I would have done the same thing, ... except for stopping the clock.
mick
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw

Not in my book. Stopping the clock and having someone look for the coach is just a little too blatant for me.

But I night go back across court and wait a few minutes before checking the book.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Freshman and JV no to stop the clock and yes to find the coach and if taken care of within a few minutes no big deal.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Go to table at the 12:00 minute mark. That gives you 2 minutes to straighten everything out without having to bend the rules.

Z
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 02:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Go to table at the 12:00 minute mark.
Z
I go at 12:30. But that is me.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 06:58am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Z

Peace
I don't go over at 12:30 but I also wouldn't give a T for this. It looks like I learned something new today already. I can go home and take a nap now.

When do you guys get captains together? I do it at 3:00 so we can get captains then go straight to coaches. Well, now that I think of it I don't have a set time because I've done it as soon as I hit the floor and I've done it at 5:00. I guess it depends.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 07:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Z

Peace
I don't go over at 12:30 but I also wouldn't give a T for this. It looks like I learned something new today already. I can go home and take a nap now.

When do you guys get captains together? I do it at 3:00 so we can get captains then go straight to coaches. Well, now that I think of it I don't have a set time because I've done it as soon as I hit the floor and I've done it at 5:00. I guess it depends.
Captains @ 12:00
Book @ 11:30
Coaches @ 1:30

Our local teams seem to leave the court around 6:00. If both teams leave, we, too, leave to lose our jackets.
mick
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with starting the game with a T. Its not my fault. Yes, I will do all I can, short of setting aside the rules. I check the book at about 14min. I will try to find the coach. I've only T a team once and it was this year in November. My sup. was there. No problem. Start with 2shots and then Jump ball.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I do book at 12 and change. Captains next and coaches at 2. This really has helped me avoid the 10 min problem.

At the FR and JV level, does anyone care? Unless it's an issue with a missing number from the book, I have a hard time with a T for the book being late for a freshman game. Heck, you are lucky to have someone actually there filling the book out for week night 4:30 games.

[Edited by Larks on Jan 5th, 2004 at 09:26 AM]
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I don't have a problem with starting the game with a T. Its not my fault. Yes, I will do all I can, short of setting aside the rules. I check the book at about 14min. I will try to find the coach. I've only T a team once and it was this year in November. My sup. was there. No problem. Start with 2shots and then Jump ball.
Wouldn't you start with 2 shots the non offending team then gets the ball at mid-court for throw in and the AP gets set to the offending team. Could be wrong and am sure someone will set me straight if I am.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Steve, it might've been an NCAA game. In that case, you shoot the T and then resume at the point of interruption, which was right before the jump ball.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Wouldn't you start with 2 shots the non offending team then gets the ball at mid-court for throw in and the AP gets set to the offending team. Could be wrong and am sure someone will set me straight if I am.
I guess I should have said, Women's college.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

If B was the offending team

A gets 2 shots and ball at mid court. B gets arrow.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
If B was the offending team

A gets 2 shots and ball at mid court. B gets arrow.
Ah! When is the arrow set to B? Always good for a test question or two every year