The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

For those of us doing FED

The game I was watching which brought up this question was college, but it was local and not televised.

I am still searching for how to apply this situation to High School rules.

Situation: Action under the boards, offensive player falls to floor and defensive player secures rebound and trips over player on the floor causing ball to come loose.

Does player on the floor have a legal guarding position or is this a block?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs

Situation: Action under the boards, offensive player falls to floor and defensive player secures rebound and trips over player on the floor causing ball to come loose.

Don't be misled by the NCAA intepretation. The replies that Jurassic Ref and I gave you are correct for NF. This is not a foul, and LGP has nothing to do with the play.

10.6.1E
B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor.

RULING: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

Your play is no different.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Good case cite, Tony. You're about to hit a milestone!
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Don't be misled by the NCAA intepretation. The replies that Jurassic Ref and I gave you are correct for NF. This is not a foul, and LGP has nothing to do with the play.

10.6.1E
B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor.

RULING: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

My association had a general meeting last night and it was re-emphasized, "BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, A WHISTLE SHOULD FOLLOW"!! Please assist? Response: Do what they instruct you to do.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
Quote:
Quote:

10.6.1E

My association had a general meeting last night and it was re-emphasized, "BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, A WHISTLE SHOULD FOLLOW"!! Please assist? Response: Do what they instruct you to do.
I betcha the play we are discussing is not at all what they are talking about.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10.6.1E

I can't be more specific: "BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, A WHISTLE SHOULD FOLLOW". This sitch is a good example that this is not true, however we are instructed this way. I LOVE officiating.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10.6.1E

I can't be more specific: "BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, A WHISTLE SHOULD FOLLOW". This sitch is a good example that this is not true, however we are instructed this way. I LOVE officiating.
I can't be more certain: your interpreter does NOT want you whistling a foul simply because B1 falls down. The play we are discussing is A1 trips over B1 who happens to be on the floor. Night & day.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
I got no problem with that, Woodee.

If the player on the floor extends an arm or leg into A1's path, I have a foul.

If A1 simply trips over B1 who is on the floor and falls to the floor, I've got traveling.

A whistle in each play.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Woodee, the phrase " bodies on floor, we need to have a whistle" is when we have a crash involving the ball.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
Quote:
I got no problem with that, Woodee.

If the player on the floor extends an arm or leg into A1's path, I have a foul.

If A1 simply trips over B1 who is on the floor and falls to the floor, I've got traveling.

A whistle in each play.
I agree, however the sitch that began this discussion NO WHISTLE followed, not what we are taught.

Guys, I agree with your points, I was letting you know the differences.

Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:
I agree, however the sitch that began this discussion NO WHISTLE followed, not what we are taught.
That's because "he trips and loses the ball."
If he had not lost the ball, traveling.
Since he lost the ball, it's nothing.
No whistle.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of us doing FED

Quote:

Guys, I agree with your points, I was letting you know the differences.

What we've been taught is nowhere in the rule book.

Per rule - incidental contact is all around.
Per philosophy (especially at higher levels) - athletes rarely slip on the floor and go to ground, especially when defensive players are around.

It's up to you which way to call it.