The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 man rotation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11466-3-man-rotation.html)

feelthese2 Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:02am

Question, NFHS, trail calls a foul in the backcourt, what is the rotation after trail goes to the table to report the foul????

Rich Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:12am

By the book:

3 officials: Trail always goes opposite table. Could be T or C, depending on the side of the court where the ball will be inbounded.

2 officials: Officials always switch so trail goes lead.

In reality? Depends on the crew, I guess.

tomegun Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by feelthese2
Question, NFHS, trail calls a foul in the backcourt, what is the rotation after trail goes to the table to report the foul????
You should have included what side the trail was on when he made the call.

feelthese2 Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:26am

Ok, trail in bounds table side in the back court, center is across from table and lead is table side. Trail calls a foul in the backcourt and goes cross table. Does the center now becomes the trail???

BktBallRef Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:27pm

Quote:

Ok, trail in bounds table side in the back court, center is across from table and lead is table side. Trail calls a foul in the backcourt and goes cross table. Does the center now becomes the trail???
Yes, and the calling official becomes C, assuming that the ball will be put in play tableside.

JRutledge Fri Jan 02, 2004 01:04pm

Quote:

You always are going to switch. You are always going to go opposite the table no matter what. You will never go back to the same position under any circumstances, if you do the mechanics by the book.

Peace

bob jenkins Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

You always are going to switch. You are always going to go opposite the table no matter what. You will never go back to the same position under any circumstances, if you do the mechanics by the book.

Peace

I thought the FED had amended this?

If T is opposite table, then T just returns and administers the throw-in. No need to run down the court and swithc with L.

If T is table side, then T switches with C.

JCurrie Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins

If T is opposite table, then T just returns and administers the throw-in. No need to run down the court and swithc with L.

[/B]
They had, but this year they went back to the old mechanic

Mark Dexter Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace

Not so sure on this one. I'm C, opposite, in frontcourt, and I call a shooting foul. I report, then I go opposite which, in this case, is still C.

JRutledge Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Not so sure on this one. I'm C, opposite, in frontcourt, and I call a shooting foul. I report, then I go opposite which, in this case, is still C.

I am strictly talking about a call in the backcourt, which was the point of my reponse. Shooting fouls are another story, but I am talking about non-shooting fouls. Mainly because that was what the question was originally about.

Peace

BktBallRef Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by JCurrie
Quote:

Jcurrie is correct, Bob. In 2001, the NF eliminated the long switch because the NCAA stated that they were going to continue not using it. A month later, after the NF books were printed, the NCAA went back to the long switch. That's what Mr. Knox told us when he was the Chairman of the Committee. He told us in 2001 that the NF would go back to long switches in 2003 an d so they did. But I still see a lot of guys, at both levels, not switching.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 04, 2004 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by JCurrie
Quote:

Jcurrie is correct, Bob. In 2001, the NF eliminated the long switch because the NCAA stated that they were going to continue not using it. A month later, after the NF books were printed, the NCAA went back to the long switch. That's what Mr. Knox told us when he was the Chairman of the Committee. He told us in 2001 that the NF would go back to long switches in 2003 an d so they did. But I still see a lot of guys, at both levels, not switching.

Yes, I understand the history. I thought they again changed it (after the books were printed this year) so that there "sometimes" was a long switch (when old L, new T was tableside) and "sometimes" not a long swithc (when old L, new T was already opposite table).

Maybe (probably) I'm wrong -- it's either a local interp, or a rumor for next year, or a compromise suggested by those who don't want to switch, but also don't want to not follow the rules, or ...