The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Are we required to allow for lag time? Coach request TO. I look at clock and whistle. Another sec. goes off the clock. Am I not allowed to put one sec. back on the clock?
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

The rulebook allows for up to 1 second lag time. We do not make corrections for anything up to and including 1 second. Anything over 1 second is considered excessive and may be corrected if you have absolute knowledge (ie looking at the clock).

Grail
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. If 1 second or less expires from the time you blow the whistle, no time should be restored. You are not permitted to put time back.

If you whistle for a timeout (or foul or violation) with < 1.0 seconds left and the clock doesn't get stopped before the horn sounds, the quarter/game is over (after any merited FTs are taken).

It's based on the time of the whistle...not when the coach requests it.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
If you whistle for a timeout (or foul or violation) with < 1.0 seconds left and the clock doesn't get stopped before the horn sounds, the quarter/game is over (after any merited FTs are taken.)
Those merited FTs are only taken at the end of the game if the outcome of the game can be changed by them being taken. Otherwise end of game no FTs.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
The rulebook allows for up to 1 second lag time. We do not make corrections for anything up to and including 1 second. Anything over 1 second is considered excessive and may be corrected if you have absolute knowledge (ie looking at the clock).

Grail
Where does it say this in the rule book?
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by Grail

Grail
Where does it say this in the rule book?
It doesn't. It's addressed in the case book. 5.10.1 SITUATION B & Comment
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

OK, here we go again. "lag or reaction". Under 5.10.1 situation B: COMMENT: One second (or) the "reaction" time is interpreted to have elapsed from the time the signal was made until the official glanced at the clock. I read this to say I may put the time "I" saw on the clock.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, here we go again. "lag or reaction". Under 5.10.1 situation B: COMMENT: One second (or) the "reaction" time is interpreted to have elapsed from the time the signal was made until the official glanced at the clock. I read this to say I may put the time "I" saw on the clock.
I would take into consideration the time of game. If it is the end of the game and one team is decidedly ahead or in the middle of the game I leave it as just timers reaction time. If it is a two point game and down to the final seconds I would go with what I saw on the clock and have the time added back.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I agree SteveF, I'm not talking phylosophy, just rules.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it all boils down to when you see the clock.

If you are looking at the clock when you blow the whistle, you may see upto 1 second tick away and have nothing to correct.

If you blow the whistle, then look to the clock. Any time that rolls off will be excessive since by the time you stop the whistle, locate the clock, focus on the time, and register what it says, 1 second has elapsed.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]
If you blow the whistle, then look to the clock. Any time that rolls off will be excessive since by the time you stop the whistle, locate the clock, focus on the time, and register what it says, 1 second has elapsed. [/B]
The only part I will disagree is, you say "1 second has elapsed". Many times when I whistle or my partner whistles, I look at the clock. I'm confident in many cases, it does not take me 1 second.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I just want to add that if you do put time back on the clock, you do not allow for lag time. That is, if you know it should read 1:12 but is down to 1:08, you reset it to 1:12 not 1:11 to allow for the once second lag. I don't think anyone was saying that, I just wanted to clarify for the lurkers.

Mregor
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

If you're looking at the clock, blow your whistle at the 1:00 mark and the clock doesn't stop until :58 seconds, you can only reset the clock to :59 seconds.

If you're not looking at the clock, blow your whistle, then turn to see the clock at the :59 second mark and the clock doesn't stop until :58 seconds, you can reset the clock to :59 seconds.

It's considered that 1 second lapsed between the whistle and the official turning and seeing the clock. If you aren't looking at the clock when the whistle sounds, you can reset it to what it was when you did look. If you're looking at it, you must allow 1 second of lag time.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

I will chime in..
Lag time is only for stopping the clock. This type of play happens as much as the stopping. You chop thime in and head up the floor but the clock does not start. You blow you whistel to reset the clock you make an exact correction.

Example Clock is at 00:58 and you get to mid court and clock has not started. You blow you whistle and your count is at 8 seconds.Clock is set to :50. If they start it late and you fix it. fix it right.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If you're looking at the clock, blow your whistle at the 1:00 mark and the clock doesn't stop until :58 seconds, you can only reset the clock to :59 seconds.
That's contrary to what I just posted above. I don't have my books with me, but it is my understanding that if you have definite knowledge of the time that should be on the clock, you reset it to that time if there is more than a 1 second difference (the allowed lag). You don't allow for the lag when making the reset. In your situation, I would reset it to 1:00. However, I could be wrong; there's a first time for everything.

Mregor