The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If you're looking at the clock, blow your whistle at the 1:00 mark and the clock doesn't stop until :58 seconds, you can only reset the clock to :59 seconds.

This used to be true, Tony, but the FED changed the case play (and it may have been an "unnanounced" change) a couple of years ago.

If the timer stops the clock w/in one second, then no correction can be made. But, if the timer fails to stop the clock w/in one second, then the full time is put back on the clock.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF

I would take into consideration the time of game. If it is the end of the game and one team is decidedly ahead or in the middle of the game I leave it as just timers reaction time. If it is a two point game and down to the final seconds I would go with what I saw on the clock and have the time added back.
The higher up I hear advice from, the more I hear 'correct every timing mistake - no matter when it happens, no matter how small.' While a blowout with 0.4 seconds left can be left uncorrected, a timing mistake in the middle of a game often can affect the game.

Of course, each team can adjust to the 1-2 fewer seconds, but you still see shot clocks in NCAA being adjusted (often incorrectly, in my opinion) up or down one second when the clock is in the 33-35 range - still plenty of time for the team to adjust to having less than 35.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
If you're looking at the clock, blow your whistle at the 1:00 mark and the clock doesn't stop until :58 seconds, you can only reset the clock to :59 seconds.

This used to be true, Tony, but the FED changed the case play (and it may have been an "unnanounced" change) a couple of years ago.

If the timer stops the clock w/in one second, then no correction can be made. But, if the timer fails to stop the clock w/in one second, then the full time is put back on the clock.
This is correct. CB 5.10.1 Sit. D
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to onthecourts
If I am reading the books correctly. If you blow at 1:00 and the clock stops at 0:59 that is good. If the clock doesn't stop until 0:58 that is correctable to 1:00 because in exceeds the 0:01 lag time if you indeed looked at the clock and saw 1:00 when you blew. Personnally I look at the game and shot clock each time my partner(s) or I blow and play a little game management. If the coach or crowd don't react and the game is not close let the clock stand unless it is a gross error.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF

I would take into consideration the time of game. If it is the end of the game and one team is decidedly ahead or in the middle of the game I leave it as just timers reaction time. If it is a two point game and down to the final seconds I would go with what I saw on the clock and have the time added back.
The higher up I hear advice from, the more I hear 'correct every timing mistake - no matter when it happens, no matter how small.' While a blowout with 0.4 seconds left can be left uncorrected, a timing mistake in the middle of a game often can affect the game.

Of course, each team can adjust to the 1-2 fewer seconds, but you still see shot clocks in NCAA being adjusted (often incorrectly, in my opinion) up or down one second when the clock is in the 33-35 range - still plenty of time for the team to adjust to having less than 35.
Don't get me wrong if more than a couple of seconds are run off the clock in error and I know the proper time to adjust I would also put it back. Just don't think the 2 or 3 seconds hurt early in the game and might just be the timekeepers reaction time. They are probably starting the clock late sometimes and it will work itself out. But at the end of the game there is no time for it to work itself out IMHO.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 11:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Ok, here's a little wrench:

We had a discussion here in our local association where I was proven correct only by me contacting the manufacturer of the scoreclocks.

Around here in southern Ontario, the Nevco scoreclocks are very popular. Not sure if they're anywhere to be found in the US. Upon the game starting, the clock immediately changes to 7:59 - I mean right after time is started. In effect, what is not shown are the tenths of a second (until less than a minute) - but they still exist.

So, it is possible that by "adding" a second, you're actually only adding one-tenth of a second, because the clock already has 9-tenths of a second pending.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Yes sir, you're correct. I kept looking for that play but didn't go to the last one under 5.10.