The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 10:47pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

10U travel team Xmas tourney...
A1 launches 3 point try, ball still in air and foul called; B1 pushing A2. Shot misses and referee awards A2 3 FTs.
As I was just a spectator I now have bruise from biting my tongue to go along with busted gut.

Also heard a good one...
"What is the difference between officials and players in 10U basketball game???

10U players will be better next year

Season's greetings to all
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

i worked a youth Holiday tournament this weekend. I believe it was a 7th grade game. Losing coach comes up to us after the game and says it is the worst officiating he has ever seen. My reply was: "You think that was bad, you should have seen me 5 years ago". He just looked confused and walked away.

Mregor

Thank you Arizona! (I know this is the basketball thread, just couldn't resist)
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Don't thank the Cards, thank the Vikes. Start 6-0, finish 3-7. They suck.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
i worked a youth Holiday tournament this weekend. I believe it was a 7th grade game. Losing coach comes up to us after the game and says it is the worst officiating he has ever seen. My reply was: "You think that was bad, you should have seen me 5 years ago". He just looked confused and walked away.

Mregor

Thank you Arizona! (I know this is the basketball thread, just couldn't resist)
While we're telling stories about this tournament, let me add mine (since I believe we might be talking about the same tournament). Let me tell you, the basketball certainly wasn't very good.

I worked three games on Saturday afternoon. Only one coach got on my nerves -- this was a guy who couldn't get my attention to call a time out while I was reporting a foul. Now, I'm pretty sensitive to substitutes and coaches asking for timeouts.

Anyhow, I report a foul and head over to the trail position for 2 free throws. After the shooter has the ball, I notice the coach with his hands in a timeout signal. I tell him he can have it right after the first throw.

This is when he tells me he "still wants it" from when I was over at the table. I tell him he can have it after the first throw, but he needs to do a better job getting an official's attention if he wants a timeout. He then argues that the TABLE knew he wanted one. I guess maybe this was the wrong time to laugh, but I just couldn't help myself.

So we have a timeout. During this timeout, I think of a few snappy little comebacks that would NOT have gone over well:

(1) On the table knowing the coach wanted a timeout: "We forgot to bring whistles for them. Sorry."

(2) On the fan who (according to my wife who suffered through three of these games) called me a moron after the clock stopped working (with us continuing until the horn went off) and wondered what game I was watching: "Unfortunately this one -- there were no good ones to watch this afternoon."

My games consisted of sixth and seventh graders, and I have the utmost respect for those people that work these games consistently. I can't do it. The money is good and the games are easy to work, but I just can't handle the parents and coaches that, for the most part, mellow out in the five years between these games and when I see them on Friday nights.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

We all know the Patriots are gonna win the Superbowl this year.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
We all know the Patriots are gonna win the Superbowl this year.
Probably, which will make Brady the worst fantasy football league QB to ever start for a Super Bowl team.

Believe me, I know.

I was better off starting Cordell Stewart, my backup, on most Sundays than I was starting Brady.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:32am
Do not give a damn!!

He might not have been good at the beginning........

Tony,

Brady had 4 TD passes yesterday. That is 4 more than Kordell has probably thrown all year. I live in Chicago, I would know.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Sorry to get back on topic and ruin your guys fun, but I'm a newbie at basketball so I just want to make sure I have the correct ruling for the firs tpost.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

It is a throw in or if in bonus situation, then one and one or two free throws. The foul does not make the ball dead and if the basket would have been good then that score would have counted and you would still have a throw in or free throws.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

You heard it here first...

Seahawks will stop Green Bay's "devine", "lucky", "improbable" streak this Sunday on Fox.

RD
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
You heard it here first...

Seahawks will stop Green Bay's "devine", "lucky", "improbable" streak this Sunday on Fox.

RD
Aren't you aware that smoking crack is illegal? Next Sunday will show who deserved to get in as wild card. Seattle and GB had smae record and GB whipped Sea during regular season, but somehow because Miami and Clev won, the nod went to Seattle for the tiebreaker? That "strength of schedule" tie breaker has to be changed.

Mregor
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Hey Rookie Dude, are you aware that the game will be played on the road for the Seadogs???...not really their most stellar portion of the schedule...It is all a mute point anyway...Plummer and company will lead the Broncos back to where they belong, which is the Super Bowl Championship.... Go Broncos...... (that should elicit some responses :P)
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Hey Rookie Dude, are you aware that the game will be played on the road for the Seadogs???...not really their most stellar portion of the schedule...It is all a mute point anyway...Plummer and company will lead the Broncos back to where they belong, which is the Super Bowl Championship.... Go Broncos...... (that should elicit some responses :P)
It may even be a moot point

Actually, the Seahawks got in because of Dallas's loss yesterday, which put the Wild Card into a three way tie (well, before the Vikings loss, that is).

It was going to be Seattle, Green Bay, and Dallas at 10-6. Dallas had already clinched a spot, but the three way tie meant that they couldn't use head-to-head to settle the tie (a 2-way tie with only GB and Seattle would've gone to GB, since they beat Seattle head-to-head). The next tiebreaker on the list was "strength of victory" which gave Seattle the edge over GB and clinched them the wild card spot.

None of this "strength of victory" stuff would've mattered if GB would've found a way to win one of those 6 games they lost.

As an Eagles fan, I like the Eagles's chances. They will get Dallas or the winner of the GB/Seattle game in Philly in the second week. Win that and they're back at home for the NFCC game. Two wins to the SuperBowl sounds easy, but they've failed in that same task the past two seasons. Difference this year is that there's no "team of destiny" like Tampa Bay was last season.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Hey Rich, thanks for the spell check or rather the grammar check LOL as mute is properly spelled, however incorrectly used LOL....BTW don't you think you could call Green Bay a team of Destiny?? I know their last two opponents, the Raiduhs and the Broncos JV team aren't powerhouse opponents, but someone had a hand in that AZ thing....
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
It is a throw in or if in bonus situation, then one and one or two free throws. The foul does not make the ball dead and if the basket would have been good then that score would have counted and you would still have a throw in or free throws.
Ron's right, Snake-Eyes. The foul was away from the ball, so it's treated like any other foul. If you don't get enough attention to your questions in the future here, feel free to e-mail someone privately by using the little "mail" button below their post.
Closed Thread