The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Just when you think it's safe to think

that mechanics matter . . . somebody wants an official to pass on what he or she sees. Try to get the game right, please. Mechanics attempt to impose a simple system on a highly complex one (the game). It only works so good at any particular time. Knowing what's likely to happen next, at every point in the game, is what leverages good mechanics into better officiating.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 01:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I see your point, and I think you'd agree that if the trail were calling and reporting, it would be the lead who'd have all the players in their primary, right? My point was that just because the ball is dead, doesn't mean that lead is off the job. This happened so fast, that I think the play should still be in Lead's primary, right? If they'd pre-gamed that the other ref would call the second one in a bang-bang situation, then I could see the Lead holding the whistle, and Trail coming in strong to sell the call. I would hope they'd have eye-contact first. But, if no pregame, I'm at trail, I'm calling nothing on this, unless Lead had very obviously turned back on play.
I like what you said Juulie about the lead not being "off the job". I believe that once the whistle went, both officials have a responsibility for anything that happens on or off the court.

Having said that, there are certain "areas of coverage" that do promote themselves. RookieDude said that the two officials are veteran officials. I think you have to know who you're reffing with, and knowing that the other guy is a veteran (either because you know or from the pre-game), you should be expecting that he will follow the play after the foul.... observing the continuing action.

In the post-game, the T said he "thought" the L's back was to the play. Not good enough - you gotta know that the L's back was to the play.

Conclusion: T should have passed because L passed. It was a "little" shiver when going through A's mind was the repidly approaching wall.

Mike

P.S.: I guess this isn't specifically to you, but to everyone - I was prompted to respond after reading your post, which had a key point.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

When a foul is called, the non-calling official is supposed to freeze his field of vision, observing the players for unsporting acts. This was the trails call to make, and if i was the trail, i would've given a flagerant technical foul, because this is the sort of thing that could start a fight.

Oh Ya, one other thing, that couldn't have been an unsporting foul, because an unsporting foul cannot occur from contact between two opponents. (A question I got wrong on this years fed test)

[Edited by ref18 on Dec 30th, 2003 at 09:24 PM]