The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Hello, all. I was wondering, what do you think the dumbest rule in basketball is?

First, administrative technicals for something like the starters not being marked. I can understand incorrect numbers and such (even though most would agree that 99% of the time it's just error, not deceiet). For the life of me, I cannot figure out what difference it makes. When I do the books, I don't even mark who goes in afterwards, because that sort of information is irrelevant, really. The only purpose I can see would be to confirm that the number is in the book, but I double check during the pre-game. I just don't get it. It's a dumb rule.

What do you all think?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

The rule that says some guys get to travel in the NBA and some guys don't. Oh wait, that's not actually a rule? Coulda fooled me...
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
Hello, all. I was wondering, what do you think the dumbest rule in basketball is?

First, administrative technicals for something like the starters not being marked. I can understand incorrect numbers and such (even though most would agree that 99% of the time it's just error, not deceiet).... I just don't get it. It's a dumb rule.
Matthew, every rule was written to solve some problem for someone somewhere. I can't for the life of me figure out what problem this solves, but then it really doesn't hurt any one, either, does it? I mean, have you ever seen anyone called for it?

The one I wonder about it the T for punching the ball with a fist. But then, that never gets called either.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

basket Interference

I would like to see hitting the backboard (in a failed attempt to block a shot) added as basket interference -- the basket most certainly shakes and possibly impacts the ball going in or not.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The one I wonder about it the T for punching the ball with a fist. But then, that never gets called either.
I think this is just a violation now, although I saw it called as a T back in '91 (the only year I was a coach).
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Worst rule: Alternate Possession.

I was told it was added because most Referee's cannot throw a strait jump ball. Heck thats the easiest thing to do!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

The dumbest rule is the one that says the team with the most points wins the game. Everyone knows that the team with the best looking cheerleading babes (18 or older, natch) should be declared the winner.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Worst rule: Alternate Possession.

I was told it was added because most Referee's cannot throw a strait jump ball. Heck thats the easiest thing to do!
Uh huh....done any girls ball lately?

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Dec 23rd, 2003 at 10:56 AM]
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Do you know how long a game would last if at every jump ball situation, we had to line everyone up and throw up the ball. I heard that FIBA might be going to the arrow in the next set of rule changes.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I think this is just a violation now, although I saw it called as a T back in '91 (the only year I was a coach).
You're right, of course. 9-4. I still don't understand why hitting the ball with a fist is a problem, for anyone but the player who does it.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Do you know how long a game would last if at every jump ball situation, we had to line everyone up and throw up the ball. I heard that FIBA might be going to the arrow in the next set of rule changes.
It's a done deal. FIBA uses alternate possession as of this year. I like AP, especially for girls games and the lower levels where you can have 10-12 held balls a game.

Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
You're right, of course. 9-4. I still don't understand why hitting the ball with a fist is a problem, for anyone but the player who does it.
The rule was instituted as a safety measure. The rationale for it was that a player trying to punch the ball could miss and punch another player, by accident.

Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

The new NCAA mechanic for the calling official to go table-side after reporting a foul makes my "stupid" list. This change wasn't made with the officials or the players in mind.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

mark p
Its not who brings the best cheerleaders but who brings the best "m.i.l.f." to the game should be the winners!

NOW for the dumbest rule...
allowing a coach to call a time out when the defence has done a great job in trapping the offence in a corner.
I feel only a player should ever be able to call the time out on there own judgement or by hearing the coach yelling to them to call it.

just my thoughts.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify, TPS2859, were you referring to "more interesting local fauna".