The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Question

Open question to the forum, What do you guys do when you have a school cancel a game? Do you expect to be paid for the game?

I have had this happen twice this year. The Ad has called and stated they having conflicts with gym time, because they were hosting the junior high girls state tournment. He did give me the opportunity to take the rescheduled dates, but I was booked for those dates.

One was a junior high boys game and the other was a girls varsity game.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
Open question to the forum, What do you guys do when you have a school cancel a game? Do you expect to be paid for the game?

I have had this happen twice this year. The Ad has called and stated they having conflicts with gym time, because they were hosting the junior high girls state tournment. He did give me the opportunity to take the rescheduled dates, but I was booked for those dates.

One was a junior high boys game and the other was a girls varsity game.
Water off a duck's back.
I don't care in the least, if cancelled before I arrive.
They didn't do it purposely.

If there are double bookings and all the officials show, we all get paid.
mick

Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Game fees

In the state that I am in, we have a two hour window.
Which means that if for any reason (storm, power failure, snow, etc.), the school should notify you two hours in advance of game time, if they don't and you show-they pay. I might add it is always a good idea to call the school in advance if you think there might be a reason for cancelation.
Note: You didn't mention a time frame in your thread but I don't think they would have scheduled a tournament of that magnitude on a very short notice.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

No road time, no pay

In SW Ohio, if the school contacts us before we leave home/work for the game, we don't get paid. If we do the road trip, we do get paid.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It varies.

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY

Depends on when the game was cancelled. If the game was cancelled before I ever got to the site, then I do not expect to get paid. If the game was cancelled, but no one called me and I get to the site, then yes, I expect to be paid. And some schools do their own thing and it can vary too much. But for some reason, the schools in the southern part of the state (at least south of the Chicago area) have no problem paying if you show up and they did not inform you. But for some reason, the Chicago area schools take a different attitude about paying officials for when they cancel the games. Do not ask me why, but it is just that way.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Similar thing here. If you don't get notified until after you're on your way to the game, you get paid.

Z
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Around here, if the game is postponed and you are notified before you arrive at the game site, you don't get a check. The assignor usually tries to re-assign you to the make-up date if you're available; but if you're not, you lose the assignment and get no compensation.

If the game is cancelled/postponed and you're not notified and you go to the game site, you receive half a game fee.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Geez, that's insulting. Sounds like they don't think our time is very valuable. I for one have many things I could be doing other than wasting my time driving to a school for no game.

Z

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Around here, if the game is postponed and you are notified before you arrive at the game site, you don't get a check. The assignor usually tries to re-assign you to the make-up date if you're available; but if you're not, you lose the assignment and get no compensation.

If the game is cancelled/postponed and you're not notified and you go to the game site, you receive half a game fee.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Geez, that's insulting. Sounds like they don't think our time is very valuable. I for one have many things I could be doing other than wasting my time driving to a school for no game.
Maybe, but when else would you get paid $20, $30, or $60 just for driving to a school, turning around and going home?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 07:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Z
If my time was that valuable, I would not be officiating.
Pass the cheese, please.
mick
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If the game is cancelled/postponed and you're not notified and you go to the game site, you receive half a game fee. [/B]

In Michigan, with this sitch, I believe that you are paid a third of the contract.
Doesn't really matter much to me however, cuz if my game gets cancelled, I get to spend more time with my dog.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Game fees

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe, but when else would you get paid $20, $30, or $60 just for driving to a school, turning around and going home?
That's interesting! In Conneticut on the high school level, we get $72.85 for a varsity game and $47.21 for sub varsity (sub varsity is JV thru grade school. What are your game fees?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Seems like a whole new thread, Willie, so I emailed you instead of posting it here.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Here in Seattle I have already had this happen twice in the last two weeks, with miscommuniication between the schools. We get paid since we showed up and it was their error. Kind of a freak thing as it has not happened before here to me.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Might be OK for you guys in the itty, bitty, state of MA, but around here it sometimes takes up to 2 hours (traffic) to get to a game site. For example, I work in the DC area and had a game scheduled last week at a AA school that is 62 miles from where I work. The schools do not notify the offical directly -- they notify the assignor who then notifies the offical of a cancellation. If I have left work early to drive 62 miles to a game and get there and find out it is cancelled, I expect to be paid the game fee.