LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 09:47pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
.... I'm not sticking my foot in it if I don't have to. .
Rich
What if the player misses a lay up and runs back down the court and says "I f--king suck! I am the worst f--king basketball player ever to walk on the G-- d--n planet!" By your philosophy, since he wasn't directing it at an official, that would be acceptable right?

Not in my game.
Big Dave,
I don't think Rich implied that in the least.
mick

Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
.... I'm not sticking my foot in it if I don't have to. .
Rich
What if the player misses a lay up and runs back down the court and says "I f--king suck! I am the worst f--king basketball player ever to walk on the G-- d--n planet!" By your philosophy, since he wasn't directing it at an official, that would be acceptable right?

Not in my game.
Big Dave,
I don't think Rich implied that in the least.
mick

Hey, I was having a boring night. Wanted to spice things up a bit.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation to the second situation described last year when a coach booted a chair. I'd given the guy two Ts in the previous two games I had him and he was a lou mouth again in this one. His player missed a shot so he turned around and booted a folding chair into the wall 15 feet behind him. I gave him the T. If it was directed at me I would have tossed him.

In terms of profanity, it's none of our business unless its directed at us or at other players. If a player is using too much profanity, let the coach deal with it. As was said don't put your foot in something that you don't have to.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Another situation concerning a

Team A had the ball just prior to half time. I was trail, off ball, and my partner was lead, on ball. Player from Team A set a bad screen in front of my partner and he called a blocking foul on Team A player. I froze to watch players as my partner cleared to report foul. As soon as my partner passed the player committing the foul, player got back up to his knees, raised hands all the way above his head, and while grunting, slapped both hands onto the floor as hard as could while glaring at my partners back. I rang him up for unsporting behavior, which totally set off the coach of the player from Team A. Just a question. Would any of you called the same "T". Also the same player received a second T in the second half by my partner, for language, and was ejected. Another question I have, is that I have to go and ref that school in another three weeks. Should I ask for a swap in games?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Another situation concerning a

Quote:
Originally posted by bcooley66
As soon as my partner passed the player committing the foul, player got back up to his knees, raised hands all the way above his head, and while grunting, slapped both hands onto the floor as hard as could while glaring at my partners back. .... Would any of you called the same "T"....

Should I ask for a swap in games?
bcooley66,
Welcome to the Forum.

That player sounds like a head case. Two 'Ts' in one game, I think, qualifies.
...Sounds like a coaching or parenting shortfall.

I may have let it go and told the kid that, "You're too good a ball player to act like that." Or, I may have whacked him, too. Because you are questioning your 'T', I think maybe you could have had a word with him.

The technical foul is merely a tool at our disposal. Use it when you need it. When you use it, enforce it without emotion. It's part of doing business. It's part of maintaining a sporting atmosphere.

No, don't "swap games". Get out on the floor and I trust the 'T'd' player will behave himself. If not, whack him again.

mick

Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 10:07am
We don't rent pigs

Re: Another situation concerning a

Quote:
Another question I have, is that I have to go and ref that school in another three weeks. Should I ask for a swap in games?
Absolutely not. If you swap games over one little thing like this, you will soon run out of schools to swap for.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
[B]
Quote:
As soon as my partner passed the player committing the .

The technical foul is merely a tool at our disposal. Use it when you need it. When you use it, enforce it without emotion. It's part of doing business. It's part of maintaining a sporting atmosphere.

No, don't "swap games". Get out on the floor and I trust the 'T'd' player will behave himself. If not, whack him again.

mick
This reminds me of a situation I had a few years ago in high school. I was doing a "double"-Freshmen boys, Junior Varsity boys. In the Freshmen boys game, I tossed the coach of the hometeam (delayed the game for 15 minutes as I made him leave the confines of the gym-he took his time-gives you an idea of what I was dealing with). Then, before the start of the JV game the coach of the visiting team came up to me and said, "I see you are not afraid to give technical fouls." Five minutes into the JV game, I forget what he did, but I "t ed" him up. He turned to me and said he was absolutely deserving of that technical foul and that I would not hear another word from him the rest of the game. And, I didn't. My point here is that as referees, we do not use the technical foul as much as we should. In the first (1.) situation cited at the beginning of the thread, if the official had given the technical foul to the coach, he should have accepted it because he would have had no defense. His behavior was unacceptable. Of course, you can't take this situation out of context in order to determine what was the proper way to handle it, but it sounds like it may have been disruptive enough to warrant an action. You have to realize what message you are sending? Are you going to give the coach from the other team a freebie and let him slam his clipboard on the floor too. The second (2.)situation sounds like a slam dunk.
Note: The score of the game should not be a factor in making your decision. Case in point, the game ends with team A winning by one point. The coach of team A approaches you and says, "You are the worst referee I have ever seen." What are you going to do?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Case in point, the game ends with team A winning by one point. The coach of team A approaches you and says, "You are the worst referee I have ever seen." What are you going to do?
I'm going to congratulate him on being able to walk through walls; b/c the only way he's going to be able to approach me is if he chases me into the dressing room.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Game fees

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Case in point, the game ends with team A winning by one point. The coach of team A approaches you and says, "You are the worst referee I have ever seen." What are you going to do?
I'm going to congratulate him on being able to walk through walls; b/c the only way he's going to be able to approach me is if he chases me into the dressing room.
You know its too late by then! Incidentally, I've seen that done.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

My gut reaction on your first two situations are to probably not T them up, but would have to be there. Kid hitting both hands on floor and glaring at partner is a T for me. I beleive that he is bringing the officials into disrepute. I had the impression that the player did this a few seconds after the call was made. If the player did this immediately after the play without glaring at my partner I would consider that to be frustration with himself and make a comment.