The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

9-10 boys rec league. Very raw. Very dirty tile floor, I hate a dirty tile floor, just ruins any attempted finess by the players. Heated game, lots of yelling by coaches.

League rules: 10 man roster, each player must play one full quarter in the first half and one full quarter in the second half. Exceptions are for injured player unable to play or a player fouling out. (Equal participation).

Winning coach calls a time out in fourth quarter and unbeknownst to myself or partner sends one of his better players into the game out of the team huddle. Opposing coach doesn't catch it, scorer doesn't catch it or maybe is in on it. After the game a knowledgeable fan informs partner and I that this illegal substition takes place and that this coach has a habit of pulling off this type of trickery.

I will probably have this guy again in future league games. Knowing what I know now, would it behove me to make a point to check on floor personnel in a similar situation?

In other words I'd have to take inventory of the the kids on the floor from his team and compare it to the score sheet check off box.

In all fairness this coach is breaking rules to give his team an advantage, by putting a better player illegally in the game. What really pisses me off is that he's taking playing time away from a lesser skilled player. (Equal particpation).

Obviously if such a move is discovered in the game it would warrant a technical foul but on whom? Player or coach or both?

I guess I'm just angry that if it came down like it did that we missed it, as all this venting shows. Right now I feel like I'd be gunning for him the next time.

Opinions?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

The technical foul would be for coming into the game without reporting to the scorer and would go against the player. However, you should remember that these are young kids, and you should probably just direct the player back to the table if you discover it prior to the ball being put into play. If you don't discover it until after there is no penalty.

[Edited by JCurrie on Dec 16th, 2003 at 07:10 AM]
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Angry

In our league, there are divisions with similar playing time requirements. Failure to abide by the rule results in a forfeit and can result in a disbarment of the coach from the league. I don't know what the protocol is with respect to the officials versus the table personnel, who are hired by the league, but this creep should be hit hard! With regard to a "T", I would think whatever rules cover illegal substitutions, bench personnel on the court, and unsportsmanlike conduct ought to provide plenty of ammunition.

JCurrie's suggestion to have the fan quietly mention it to the other coach seems reasonable, however, depending on the situatation that might be deemed insighting a riot . In any case, it also should be reported to the the table as they are the ones normally charged with enforcing compliance with playing time requirements.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Winning coach calls a time out in fourth quarter and unbeknownst to myself or partner sends one of his better players into the game out of the team huddle. Opposing coach doesn't catch it, scorer doesn't catch it or maybe is in on it. After the game a knowledgeable fan informs partner and I that this illegal substition takes place and that this coach has a habit of pulling off this type of trickery.

In all fairness this coach is breaking rules to give his team an advantage, by putting a better player illegally in the game. What really pisses me off is that he's taking playing time away from a lesser skilled player. (Equal particpation).

Obviously if such a move is discovered in the game it would warrant a technical foul but on whom? Player or coach or both?

Opinions?
A) Don't beat yourself up about it. You are a warm-hearted human being who isn't suspicious of people, and occasionally, you get caught off-guard. That's not a failing!

A) (1) It's at least probable that the fan was dead wrong in his assessment of the situation. Fans aren't known for their objective, disinterested view of reality, and they often don't have access to all the facts.

B) Call the person who assigned you these games, and ask how you should handle it in the future. The league probably has the penalty all spelled out somewhere, and you need to know exactly what it is, and when and how to impose it.

C) In the future, just get acquainted with the numbers and faces of the starters. This isn't as difficult as it sounds. Once you have them, you should be able to spot any skullduggery.

D) Lobby the board of this league to do their own keeping track. Refs have enough other details and shouldn't have to be watching for this.

Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:11am
If you need me, text me!

The league I grew up playing in had a very similar rule. If a coach ever needed watching they would send a league administrator to his games to make sure everything was ok. Of course, we (the officials) had to check the book at the start of the 4th quarter to make sure everyone's participation was legal. Sometimes it was a hassle, but for the most part any error was a true accident by a coach.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker made every point that needed to be. Great summary RM!
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
League rules: 10 man roster, each player must play one full quarter in the first half and one full quarter in the second half. Exceptions are for injured player unable to play or a player fouling out. (Equal participation).

Winning coach calls a time out in fourth quarter and unbeknownst to myself or partner sends one of his better players into the game out of the team huddle.
Maybe the replaced player was injured?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
... After the game a knowledgeable fan informs partner and I that this illegal substition takes place and that this coach has a habit of pulling off this type of trickery....

Opinions?
Heck, Cyber-Ref, I'd probably tell the coach, eye-to-eye, that there was a perception of wrongful substitution on his part.

Bet it stops.
mick
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I was commissioner for a couple of years in a rec league and we had similar rules regarding "guaranteed playing time". If I discovered this was happening, the game was a forfeit (not fair to the kids) and if it happened again, the coach was removed for the remainder of the season and was usually not "invited back" the next season.

The league was responsible for monitoring playing time, not the officials. I know in the original scenario the coach sent a player in without notifying the table, but it is not the officials' responsibility to monitor playing time.