The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm seeking advice on how to handle:

3 years ago, our crew was assigned a game in a region tournament in a neighboring region. We handled the game with minor problems with a coach that had a unbeaten team that got upset in the finals. The next year, we are again assigned this region tournament and this coach brings another unbeaten team into this tournament. Again, he gets upset by the same team that beat him the year before using the same formula - take the ball to the hole and get fouled. His team responds by launching 30 feet jumpers. During a local TV interview he implies that officiating crew was the reason his team was beaten citing a disparity in the foul count.

Guess what? This year this coach takes a coaching position in our region meaning that we do his regular season games. My crew had his game last Friday night and about 3 minutes into the game he goes off on an out of bounds call. He begins to dredge up calls that I made 2 years ago. I put the ball in play and continue. He call a timeout about a minute later and calls me over amaiably enough. He proceeds to inform me that he he is not going to take the officiating that we gave him 2 years ago. He's ranting about some video that he wants to show me and some letter that he wants me to read. Of course, I give him the "this coversation is over" and leave. Our crew discusses at halftime. Needless to say, he gets whacked about 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

We have his game again tomorrow night. My question is:

Does every game start fresh for you?
Ddo you take less crap from a coach if he has given you trouble in previous games?
How would you handle if he wants to dredge up any previous games, especially 2 years ago?
How would you respond to: "here we go again: or "I guess we ain't gonna get any calls tonight?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mulk

Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 10:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
I'm seeking advice on how to handle:

3 years ago, our crew was assigned a game in a region tournament in a neighboring region. We handled the game with minor problems with a coach that had a unbeaten team that got upset in the finals. The next year, we are again assigned this region tournament and this coach brings another unbeaten team into this tournament. Again, he gets upset by the same team that beat him the year before using the same formula - take the ball to the hole and get fouled. His team responds by launching 30 feet jumpers. During a local TV interview he implies that officiating crew was the reason his team was beaten citing a disparity in the foul count.

Guess what? This year this coach takes a coaching position in our region meaning that we do his regular season games. My crew had his game last Friday night and about 3 minutes into the game he goes off on an out of bounds call. He begins to dredge up calls that I made 2 years ago. I put the ball in play and continue. He call a timeout about a minute later and calls me over amaiably enough. He proceeds to inform me that he he is not going to take the officiating that we gave him 2 years ago. He's ranting about some video that he wants to show me and some letter that he wants me to read. Of course, I give him the "this coversation is over" and leave. Our crew discusses at halftime. Needless to say, he gets whacked about 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

We have his game again tomorrow night. My question is:

Does every game start fresh for you?
Ddo you take less crap from a coach if he has given you trouble in previous games?
How would you handle if he wants to dredge up any previous games, especially 2 years ago?
How would you respond to: "here we go again: or "I guess we ain't gonna get any calls tonight?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mulk

Officials are human. Yes, we do not forget players, coaches, and teams, that have given us problems in the past. But the vast majority of officials start each game fresh and treat previous games as very ancient history. Unfortunately, there are too many coaches that think that all officials are out to screw them and their teams.

The first time that coach started to bring up a games that was two years ago I would have stopped him dead in his tracks. I would have told him that the past is ancient history and has nothing to do with tonight's game; this would have been his warning. Anymore complaining about past games would have gotten him a technical foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Officials are human. Yes, we do not forget players, coaches, and teams, that have given us problems in the past. But the vast majority of officials start each game fresh and treat previous games as very ancient history. Unfortunately, there are too many coaches that think that all officials are out to screw them and their teams.

The first time that coach started to bring up a games that was two years ago I would have stopped him dead in his tracks. I would have told him that the past is ancient history and has nothing to do with tonight's game; this would have been his warning. Anymore complaining about past games would have gotten him a technical foul.
Okay! everyone look out!! Here it comes!!!

I AGREE WITH MARK!!!

Good advice. I agree 100%

Also, if you're the source of his irritation, try to get one of your partners to "handle' him initially.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I AGREE WITH MARK!!!
Shoot, I guess that means the apocalypse starts tomorrow!! ...and I was really looking forward to the tournament games I was scheduled for over the Christmas break...
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

My reply

I agree that you should be prepared for more fireworks. I would definitely have a response prepared for him, something like "Coach, I understand what you are saying but previous games are ancient history. Let's play tonights game". Keep him focused on that evenings contest.

Any comments about previous games and he gets the back of my head as I walk away. Also, I would only say this once to him.

I also agree with the previous comment about getting one of your partners to deal with him if he has been successful in the past.

Unfortunately, this may be a situation where you can't win.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:44am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

I AGREE WITH MARK!!!

Good advice. I agree 100%

Also, if you're the source of his irritation, try to get one of your partners to "handle' him initially.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: My reply

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
I agree that you should be prepared for more fireworks. I would definitely have a response prepared for him, something like "Coach, I understand what you are saying but previous games are ancient history. Let's play tonights game". Keep him focused on that evenings contest.
Here's a sentence I'm keeping in my bag of tricks for a certain coach with whom the basketball history isn't good.

"Coach, we've butted heads in the past, but if you'll put it behind you, I will too, and maybe we can both have a great game, what'd'ya say?"

If anyone tries this, and it works, let ronny and me know. Thanks.