The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I just got a call from an official with a question regarding the game they did friday night. Before I dive into my books, I thought I would put it out to all of you.
Situation: Lead calls a foul on a shot. He didn't think there was any way that the ball could have gone in the basket as B1 grabbed both of the arms of the shooter A1. He reports the foul and signals two shots. The trail tried to tell him right away that the basket went in. Well when the new trail took up his position for the free throw and signalled two shots the new lead said doubts crept into his mind (I don't know what his doubts were). Anyway, A1 shot the first free throw and everyone stood there with A1 rebounding the missed shot. She walked over and handed the ball to the lead official. Then they figured out that the basket had indeed been made. Awarded the two points to team A. What they aren't sure of is how they should have handled it from there. I'll wait awhile and give you what I think.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, ugly situation. Count the basket. Don't award a second free-throw. Go with the AP. Try not to throw either coach
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I also am doing this without the book, since we are shooting 2 my guess is that the official didn't correctly award the 2pts, a correctable error. We can award the 2 pts at this time, now we are onto the free throw situation. There may be conflicting ideas as to whether there was an unmerited free throw awarded when the official signalled 2 shots. The other view being she only shot 1 so the second didn't get awarded. Ok I lied I had to consult the books, case book 2.10.1 D, according to this case, the awarding of the 2 throws happens when the admninistering official announces 2 shots. Since the error appears to have been discovered after the first shot, then according to the case book there is no further correction to be made. Since no one was in possesion when it was discovered I would go to the arrow and continue. The later part of this discussion is keyed by whether or not the first error is corrected. If it isn't then we line up and shoot the second shot, at which time the original error is no longer correctable. wow I hope this doesn't happen to me soon, my brain will take a week or two to recover
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
I just got a call from an official with a question regarding the game they did friday night. Before I dive into my books, I thought I would put it out to all of you.
Situation: Lead calls a foul on a shot. He didn't think there was any way that the ball could have gone in the basket as B1 grabbed both of the arms of the shooter A1. He reports the foul and signals two shots. The trail tried to tell him right away that the basket went in. Well when the new trail took up his position for the free throw and signalled two shots the new lead said doubts crept into his mind (I don't know what his doubts were). Anyway, A1 shot the first free throw and everyone stood there with A1 rebounding the missed shot. She walked over and handed the ball to the lead official. Then they figured out that the basket had indeed been made. Awarded the two points to team A. What they aren't sure of is how they should have handled it from there. I'll wait awhile and give you what I think.
WOW!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Lead calls a foul on a shot. He didn't think there was any way that the ball could have gone in the basket as B1 grabbed both of the arms of the shooter A1. He reports the foul and signals two shots. The trail tried to tell him right away that the basket went in. Well when the new trail took up his position for the free throw and signalled two shots the new lead said doubts crept into his mind (I don't know what his doubts were). Anyway, A1 shot the first free throw and everyone stood there with A1 rebounding the missed shot. She walked over and handed the ball to the lead official.
Award the 2 points. Go with the arrow.

Casebook play 8.6.1Sit(a).
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Hmmm, ugly situation. Count the basket. Don't award a second free-throw. Go with the AP. Try not to throw either coach
My opinion: B.I.T.S. nailed it.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

The case play covers it.

When the the wrong number of shots is communicated to the players:

If the players are smarter than the officials, ignore the instructions and everyone goes for the rebound, play continues.

If, as in this play, no one goes for the ball, the AP arrow determines who gets the ball.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Resuming Play-----

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Lead calls a foul on a shot. He didn't think there was any way that the ball could have gone in the basket as B1 grabbed both of the arms of the shooter A1. He reports the foul and signals two shots. The trail tried to tell him right away that the basket went in. Well when the new trail took up his position for the free throw and signalled two shots the new lead said doubts crept into his mind (I don't know what his doubts were). Anyway, A1 shot the first free throw and everyone stood there with A1 rebounding the missed shot. She walked over and handed the ball to the lead official.
Award the 2 points. Go with the arrow.

Casebook play 8.6.1Sit(a).
Ha!!!!! Jurassic ref, way to go you're on the ball. I was going to say, "Get the Rope."
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I consulted my books as well and concluded what you did. Luckily, they discovered their mistake before the second shot was awarded. I'm not sure they went to the possession arrow and just gave the ball to team B. It was a pretty ugly situation and I'm sure they learned from it.
Had a cool coach last night in a girls varsity game. His team had 10 team fouls with two minutes left in the first quarter. During a time out he said he thinks they better put away the tackling dummies for the rest of the season!
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

addendum

In this thread, some people said that counting the basket would not be correctable if the second shot had been awarded. However, Rule 2-10-2 states that the officials must correct errors during the first dead ball after the clock has started. So regardless of the number of free throws awarded, as long as the clock hasn't started we can still correct everything.