The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 19, 2000, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I've noticed in the last 2 years that I'm seeing an NBA
type move from HS players that I call traveling. I compared the NBA definition of traveling to the NF definition. Wow, no wonder kids get so confused! What I see alot of kids do is drive and come to a JUMP STOP. From the JUMP STOP - they jump from two feet and land on two feet. (Traveling by NF Rules.) They get this from watching NBA. The NBA Traveling Rule allows a player to Jump Stop (count one) - Jump off two feet and land on two feet (count two) and then select a PIVOT FOOT! That is a huge advantage over the NF Rule which only allows a player to JUMP off one foot and land on two with NEITHER being a pivot foot.

The end of the NBA Rule goes into how in the NBA a player cannot be the first to touch his own shot unless it hits iron, glass or a player. I have friends that know I ref that still can't believe that a HS kid can catch his own shot! I think that it would be an interesting 1/2 time feature on NBA shows to have a great ref and player demonstrate the difference between NBA an NF Rules so kids don't get so messed up.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2000, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up That would be interesting

I think that is not a bad idea, but I do feel that the NBA itself is not the problem when it comes ot travelling. I think the players do try more one on one moves in order to score instead of working within the structure of the team. But if kids and coaches cannot figure out the differences, that is there problem. The NF rules are always different from the NCAA rules and the pro rules. This is not unusual in any sport, but it does cause a little confusion.