View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 19, 2000, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I've noticed in the last 2 years that I'm seeing an NBA
type move from HS players that I call traveling. I compared the NBA definition of traveling to the NF definition. Wow, no wonder kids get so confused! What I see alot of kids do is drive and come to a JUMP STOP. From the JUMP STOP - they jump from two feet and land on two feet. (Traveling by NF Rules.) They get this from watching NBA. The NBA Traveling Rule allows a player to Jump Stop (count one) - Jump off two feet and land on two feet (count two) and then select a PIVOT FOOT! That is a huge advantage over the NF Rule which only allows a player to JUMP off one foot and land on two with NEITHER being a pivot foot.

The end of the NBA Rule goes into how in the NBA a player cannot be the first to touch his own shot unless it hits iron, glass or a player. I have friends that know I ref that still can't believe that a HS kid can catch his own shot! I think that it would be an interesting 1/2 time feature on NBA shows to have a great ref and player demonstrate the difference between NBA an NF Rules so kids don't get so messed up.