The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

You won't see this one on the refresher exam. You are doing a boys HS varsity game with the two man system. You are the trail
as the teams move down the court when you whistle a foul for a reach in foul. As you go to the table to report the foul, you are intercepted by your partner who claims that the foul you called was not a foul, you got it wrong and tells you not to report it. He goes to the table and tells them it was a mistake. How would you handle this during the game? Would you override his decision at the table? How would you handle your partner after the game?

Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Ignore him.

Ignore him and report the foul. Once you blow the whistle, it is over. Or at the very least, he better have a travel or some kind of violation that would negate the foul. But that better be done before I can even report the foul. Then we are going to have a little talk in the locker room during halftime or after the game.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Your whistle, your call. He cannot override you. Report the foul. Ask your partner how many days he's had his whistle. Inform him quietly that he is to maintain strict adherence to his primary. At half-time, educate him on the importance of watching his primary. Fight the temptation to feed him his whistle. Fight the temptation to feed him his shoes. Inform your assignor of the events of the evening.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner is probably right since there's no such thing as a "reach in foul."
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was wondering about that reach in also-Work with a guy the other day who reported a reach-in and over back in the first half (real fouls just called wrong) we discussed this at half and he understood --real good second half-nice to work with someone who understood the problem he was causing was willing to correct it and appreciated my comments

He helped me in a few area also
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

That happened to me years ago, forgive me if my memory
is fuzzy. I did report it to our commssioner (we have to pay these assignors a fee) who defended him. But this happened to me yesterday in a boys recreation game (haven't done those in a long time) that reminded me of that incident. I whistled a kicking violation (intentionally struck the ball with his foot-does that violation exist?), my partner was straight
lined (2-man), then I heard another whistle, my partner raced over picked the ball up and said there was no kick and in the blink of a eye administered a TI to the team whose player had kicked the ball.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
I whistled a kicking violation (intentionally struck the ball with his foot-does that violation exist?), my partner was straight lined (2-man), then I heard another whistle, my partner raced over picked the ball up and said there was no kick and in the blink of a eye administered a TI to the team whose player had kicked the ball.
Just be sure the commissioner knows what's going on. Depending on your own status in the association, you might try to talk to the guy at half-time. I remember one time when I was working with a very good, very experienced official (not in the PBOA, I should add), and let's just say nicely I wasn't up to his stature. I made a call based on a tip which I thought I saw, but apparently no one else in the gym did. The players argued just a little, but just at they were shrugging, my partner comes in with a whistle and overrides me. I had already realized that is was probably a bad call, and was in the process of selling it and actually getting away with it, when he just completely plows me over. I fumed until half-time, and finally got the nerve to say to him, "That call may have been wrong, but you should not have overruled me like that. Although I don't have as much experience as you, I'm a pretty good ref, but you completely deflated me in the eyes of the spectators, and that's not okay." That's all I said, and he didn't even respond. But after the game, he said, "Hey you did a good job today, and I'm glad I got to work with you." With the right person, you might be able to do this.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 06:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Good point Juulie.

I think Juulie brings up a great point. You have to sometimes realize who you are with. I know that might not seem fair, but if you are with a "heavyweight," it might not be in your best interest to "pop off" your disgust about the situation. You just have to "know your place," and do what is right based on that situation.

Now I hope I never get to such a "heavyweight" where I cannot be told what I did was wrong by "lesser prestigious" officials. But there are guys that have such an ego, that saying anything will be counter-productive to what you really want to accomplish.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Good point Juulie.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Now I hope I never get to such a "heavyweight" where I cannot be told what I did was wrong by "lesser prestigious" officials.
These are the words of a truly great ref, and we should all try to apply them daily to our work.

Okay, this meeting of the Rain-and-Rut-Mutual-Admiration-Society is now officially ended.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
is fuzzy. I did report it to our commssioner (we have to pay these assignors a fee) who defended him.
Anyone who would defend that has to be a complete idiot.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
is fuzzy. I did report it to our commssioner (we have to pay these assignors a fee) who defended him.
Anyone who would defend that has to be a complete idiot.
Same assignor, different incident. He hands me a contract at an association meeting for a game the next day and demands me to sign it. I sign it and go to the game. When I get there the AD/Site administrator won't talk to me because he moved the game to another school. Our charter requires a game that is moved is given to the official holding the contract for refusal before giving it to another official or else the school pays the game fee to the official. My association told me to work it out with the assignor, the assignor wouldn't talk to me (never returned phone calls). I sent a copy of contract to school which they ignored. This happened at the end of the season. Next season, 25 games were cut from my normal schedule.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 10:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Is there more?

Sounds to me like there is more to this story than you are letting us know. That is fine, but I find it hard to believe that this one incident affected you this much, as it relates to your schedule. But stranger things have happen.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[B]Sounds to me like there is more to this story than you are letting us know.

Maybe it sounds excessive, but we are assigned 75 games in a season
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 10:21am
Huck Finn

Something like this happened to me years ago. I'm glad it wasn't a high school game. I acted up big time at the half. I wouldn't waste nearly as much energy on it now.

Sometimes a political position affords some the ability to do this and have the assigner ignore it. That is unfortunate. This does not help the game at all. You should be given credit for you ability to rebound in the second half.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down That is unfortunate.

Quote:
Maybe it sounds excessive, but we are assigned 75 games in a season
Unless you find out the reason, there might be more to the situation. Maybe this situation was the trigger, but there might be more to it.

I work for many assignors and from time to time you get forgotten or you are not availible when they need you. Sometimes you just get lost in the shuffle. Maybe that is what happen as well. My point is, unless someone told you, it is all speculation. And if what you say is true, he was really unprofessional and should at least have giving you a chance to defend your position. Not just take one person's word and not hear the other side. That is why I am saying there might be more than what you have shared with us. Maybe even more than you realize at this time.

Peace