The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
NCAA men rules: Shooting two free throws and A5 goes and sits down after A1 has the ball to shoot (no subs were beckoned). Coach is screaming for a timeout to get the 5th player back on the court. What is the correct ruling?

Is it a T for leaving the court in this situation and if not/so what is the reference?

Tks,
Denny

My two sense!
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb My NCAA Rulebook is at home.

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
NCAA men rules: Shooting two free throws and A5 goes and sits down after A1 has the ball to shoot (no subs were beckoned). Coach is screaming for a timeout to get the 5th player back on the court. What is the correct ruling?
You can only give a timeout when the rules allow it. If the ball is in at the deposal of the team shoowing the FT and this is not the coach's team, then you obviously cannot grant a timeout, despite the protest of the coach. And yes, it would be a T against the player for leaving the court unauthorized.

Quote:

Is it a T for leaving the court in this situation and if not/so what is the reference?
I do not have that book right here, but look in the player conduct section (should be in Rule 10) and see what they can and cannot do. This is something they just cannot do.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: My NCAA Rulebook is at home.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
You can only give a timeout when the rules allow it. If the ball is in at the deposal of the team shoowing the FT and this is not the coach's team, then you obviously cannot grant a timeout, despite the protest of the coach.
I'm pretty sure A1 and A5 are on the same team. I don't have an NCAA rule book and I know that.

Grant the TO, dhodges007.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, so if the coach recognizes it and requests TO, you grant it. But what if the only person to recognize it is the official opposite the table?

There's a sub waiting to come in at the table, but A5 goes off and sits down before the sub is allowed to come in. A5 can't possibly gain any advantage by this. So do you ignore it and just beckon the sub after the first FT? Do you stop the FT in order to bring A5 back onto the court? Or do you bang A5 for leaving the court?

The last option does not get my vote, BTW.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Mine neither.

HOWEVER, other things do happen. Had a partner call the 4th foul on a player one night. During the first FT, the player, pissed off, goes to the bench, kicks his chair and sits. Trail busted him.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Ok, so if the coach recognizes it and requests TO, you grant it. But what if the only person to recognize it is the official opposite the table?

There's a sub waiting to come in at the table, but A5 goes off and sits down before the sub is allowed to come in. A5 can't possibly gain any advantage by this. So do you ignore it and just beckon the sub after the first FT? Do you stop the FT in order to bring A5 back onto the court? Or do you bang A5 for leaving the court?

Just asked my mentor what I should have done and he said just bring the player back on the court. Since he wasn't trying to show us up (being pissed off) or gain an advantage - then it is on us as a crew for not seeing him leave in the first place.

Thanks for all of your replies... next time I won't bang him.

D

My two sense!