View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

This may be little long; I will try to shorten it.

I was not there, a buddy official of mine was and related this incident:

At half-time of a varsity boys game while chkg at the scores table, a fan of the home team told the R that 2 of the visiting players changed jerseys while the game was going on.

In the locker room they discussed the sit. and agreed the R would ask the visiting coach if this happened; they did. His response: “No, why would they?”

They checked with the home book (scorekeeper) and asked if there were any concerns or problems with the book regarding players or their numbers. The scorekeeper responded, as far as he knew, there were not.

Second half started and played. In the locker room after, 2 newer officials came in and were asked by my friend if they saw anything (speaking generally). One volunteered that he observed the switching of the jerseys.

Questions: 1) Could/should they have done anything additional or different? Would you?

2) They discussed what rule applications might have come into play. My friend stated that if A: one of those players who switched jerseys had entered with an illegal jersey (#) once the ball became alive (without them detecting the illegal #/name) he was now legal. And B: if caught before he entered, could only enter after the assessment of a technical foul. True A and/or B?

3) Any other rule applications we are missing here?