The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

The possession arrow favors A in both of these situations. A1 has control of the ball and then gets tied up for a held ball. I understand the shot clock does not get reset. A1 just gets the time remaining on the shot clock. But what if A1's shot is blocked by B1 and then tied up by B2 and A2....is the shot clock reset? Seems like it shouldn't be, but reading the shot-clock situations on the NCAA website gives a different impression.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

The MIAA (Massachusetts HS Asso.) has a shot clock document for Timers, which is taken from the NCAA Rules.
Massachusetts uses a 30 second shot clock for HS (along with a few other modifications from NFHS).

IN play #2 I initially thought the clock should not be reset because the offense would be getting back (keeping) the ball for the throw-in. The document states the clock is not reset when: during team control the defense causes a held ball and the AP arrow favors the offensive team. The only thing I could figure is that Team A had lost control once A1 shot for goal (a try), so it doesn't fit the criteria for no reset.

Another section states that the clock should be stopped and then reset when team control is again established after the team loses possession of the ball when a held ball occurs. Hopefully a college official can explain if we reset or not.
Here's the link:

http://www.miaa.net/bskshotclock.pdf
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

thanks for that link Maryann; did you notice that point "A" of their (MIAA) instructions to the clock operator tells them that, on a throw-in, they should start the shot-clock when a player inbounds *gains possession* of the ball? In reading the NCAA shot-clock sitch page, it says to start the clock as soon as it *touches* any inbounds player (which is what I have always instructed the timer to do)
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm more aware of this particular nuance b/c I got it wrong on a test one year. It's kind of funny actually. If you look at the NCAA rules governing the shot clock, they fall under NCAA 2-13. Article 6 says that the shot clock operator shall stop the timing device and reset it (c) when any held ball occurs. There are a couple of exceptions, but the general rule is to reset on a held ball.

The biggest and most obvious exception is if there is team control and the defense causes the held ball, and the offense has the arrow. But that's an exception! The other exception is if the held ball occurs during a throw-in and the arrow favors the inbounding team.

So remember, the rule is that you always reset on a held ball -- unless there's team control, the defense causes the held ball, and the offense is getting it back.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification, Chuck.
Mark I did notice the instruction to start the shot-clock when the team gain possession of the in-bounded ball. I think the MIAA is wrong (or is using old info). The NCAA is clear that it starts when the ball touches or is touched by a player on the court.
Also, IAABO has a nice shot-clock card with instructions.
The link is below. Click on shot clock card.

http://www.iaabo.org/cards.htm
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

MIAA probably is using FIBA rules on the start of the shot clock.

FIBA Art. 11.1 states the shot clock starts when a player gains control of a live ball on the court.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

I doubt if the MIAA even knows what FIBA is. Their shot clock instruction sheet says that the info is quoted from the NCAA Rule Book. Gaining control actually makes more sense, however it's not the NCAA procedure.