The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 08:01pm
In Memoriam

Question Okay, I'll play.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Quote:

Having spewed out all of that gobbledy gook, I would have to say that by rule, that coach is going to have to burn a timeout if he wants to change players.
The best way to look at this problem is to treat it no differently than if we were notified by the Scorer just before the start of the quarter that A1 had five fouls.
Which, ... or both of the above?
mick

Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 08:09pm
Administrator

Re: Okay, I'll play.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

Having spewed out all of that gobbledy gook, I would have to say that by rule, that coach is going to have to burn a timeout if he wants to change players.
The best way to look at this problem is to treat it no differently than if we were notified by the Scorer just before the start of the quarter that A1 had five fouls.
Which, ... or both of the above?
mick

The gobbledy gook was a quick off the cuff rant on the subject, but after careful review the decision on the field is being changed. Have a good boys' season Mick.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

I don't know how you would get a technical foul for too many quarters. That is usually a state or local rule. I'd be concerned about the team forfeiting the game later if the league or state had a rule about quarters. I don't think it is the game officials' jurisdiction to penalize such, unless you can find it in the rule book for me. I'd tell the coach to use 4 or use another sub and the consequent penalty.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
I don't know how you would get a technical foul for too many quarters. That is usually a state or local rule. I'd be concerned about the team forfeiting the game later if the league or state had a rule about quarters. I don't think it is the game officials' jurisdiction to penalize such, unless you can find it in the rule book for me. I'd tell the coach to use 4 or use another sub and the consequent penalty.
Apparently, Ohio wants it's refs involved in this situation. In Oregon, we are told the opposite. We have a quarters rule, and refs are to steadfastly refuse to pay any attention. If the opposing coach of a team with an "over-limits" player wants to make an issue of it, he does it with the league or the state, and the offending team must forfeit that game.

Around here, letting a sub in after the horn on a time out is NBD. I'd let her in.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Here is what I did.....

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
Last night when this happened it was about a 30 point game so I did let the sub come in and told both coaches why I allowed it to happen that way. Both coaches were cool about with it.

I agree with all of your answers but please let me know if you would change your answers if this would happen in a close game in the last minute of the state championship game????????
How would it be possible for a player to play in too many quarters in a state championship game?

Z
The referee allows the game to go into overtime?
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Hawk's Coach, pick only those battles that will improve the game

Back when I worked in a grocery store, we had a huge sign over the checkstands that outlined our check policy. It was there for one reason and one reason only...to allow us to refuse a check when we needed to. To enforce it strictly would have driven away loyal, honest customers.

It seems to me that we're haggling over a similar situation. We've got a rule that is there to help the official curb substitution abuses. Do we really want to force the issue and penalize a coach whose genuine intent is to keep within the rules? Would forcing the coach to burn a time out or accept a T improve the game? Would it punish an unsporting act or correct an unfairly gained advantage? Would it empower the players to determine the outcome of the game? Or would it merely distract from the game with anal-retentive administrivia?
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

If you knowingly allow a player to play extra quarters, you may have to deal with the opposing coach and school who may bring the issue to the league commissioner or whomever. I believe you notify the coach of the need to use another player and suffer the consequences. If he/she chooses to use the player in question, that will be their problem. Rules are rules and the state or league instituted the rule for a reason. Don't knowingly break the rule. Inform the coach and let them decide. Schools who knowingly break the rule are not administering their programs in a sportsmanlike manner.

Also, the OT is considered an extension of the 4th quarter. It is not another quarter.