The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interesting resumption from a kicked call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11001-interesting-resumption-kicked-call.html)

Damian Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:17pm

After calling two games, I watch the 3 man crew do their mechanics.

At the begining of the second qtr, White should have gotten the ball. The refs, the players, and everyone got into their halfcourt positions. But, the blue team came to perform the throw in. None of the refs, coaches, players, or the very vocal parents noticed this and gave them the ball. They immediately took it the other way for a layup (missed).

What really surprised me was that they then had the possession arrow point to blue. They said that since it was pointing to white, then the next one should point to blue. I was thinking the term Possession arrow meant possession and the arrow should have stayed pointin towards white. What would you have done?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
After calling two games, I watch the 3 man crew do their mechanics.

At the begining of the second qtr, White should have gotten the ball. The refs, the players, and everyone got into their halfcourt positions. But, the blue team came to perform the throw in. None of the refs, coaches, players, or the very vocal parents noticed this and gave them the ball. They immediately took it the other way for a layup (missed).

What really surprised me was that they then had the possession arrow point to blue. They said that since it was pointing to white, then the next one should point to blue. I was thinking the term Possession arrow meant possession and the arrow should have stayed pointin towards white. What would you have done?

Once the throw-in was touched by a player or touched a player, the throw-in ended. The mistake in giving the ball to Team Blue instead of Team White cannot be corrected once the AP Throw-in ends. And you are correct that the AP Arrow should have remained pointing towards Team White's basket with Team White getting the ball for the AP Throw-in for the next held ball situation.

rainmaker Mon Dec 01, 2003 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
At the begining of the second qtr, White should have gotten the ball. The refs, the players, and everyone got into their halfcourt positions. But, the blue team came to perform the throw in. ... They immediately took it the other way for a layup (missed).

What really surprised me was that they then had the possession arrow point to blue. They said that since it was pointing to white, then the next one should point to blue. I was thinking the term Possession arrow meant possession and the arrow should have stayed pointin towards white.

... And you are correct that the AP Arrow should have remained pointing towards Team White's basket with Team White getting the ball for the AP Throw-in for the next held ball situation.

Padgett, don't let me down here, quote your famous line to the blue coach...