The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Have I got this right with the non-calling offical now doing DQ?
p.37 fed officials manual
The calling official goes to the table and reports the foul and somewhere along the line is told or finds out that this is the fifth foul. After reporting the foul but before letting any subs on that official moves away and the non calling offical comes over and notifes the coach, then the player and waits for the sub for the DQ player. Then that official lets any other subs on.
I would not think that you want both officials over there near the table and no one watching the floor.
Thanks ahead for the help.

Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

right rc...calling official gets out of there...non-calling official (in 2 man) or new trail (3 man) notifies coach, player, then table to start the 30 sec. any player from either team can sub in before the 30 sec are up. 20 sec horn is really for hc of dq'd player...
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
right rc...calling official gets out of there...non-calling official (in 2 man) or new trail (3 man) notifies coach, player, then table to start the 30 sec. any player from either team can sub in before the 30 sec are up. 20 sec horn is really for hc of dq'd player...
While that is the mechanic, we (I) leave it up to the discretion of the calling official.

If a team is behind, and fouling to stop the clock, and there's no controversy, I let the calling official handle it.

If there's a contorversial (in the eyes of the coach ) call, I let the non-calling official call it.

One of each last night.

Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Like Tom Hanks said: "I don't get it."

Ok... you have just been infomed by the scorer that it is the player's 5th..and assume that it IS controversial, do you then hustle back over to your partner and tell him to go inform the coach and the player and start the clock? Or do you give him some sort of signal from the reporting area? Assuming you have already switched and your partner has assumed the lead to administer foul shots, do you then assume your partner's new position and negate the switch?

[Edited by jdccpa on Nov 26th, 2003 at 08:20 AM]
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: Like Tom Hanks said:

Quote:
Originally posted by jdccpa
Ok... you have just been infomed by the scorer that it is the player's 5th..and assume that it IS controversial, do you then hustle back over to your partner and tell him to go inform the coach and the player and start the clock? Or do you give him some sort of signal from the reporting area? Assuming you have already switched and your partner has assumed the lead to administer foul shots, do you then assume your partner's new position and negate the switch?

[Edited by jdccpa on Nov 26th, 2003 at 08:20 AM]
If I know before I report that it's the fifth foul, I tell my partner as I'm on the way to report.

If I don't know, he'll usually know it from the reaction of the player, or the horn, or the announcer and be on his way over to the reporting area (while watching the players -- we "square up" on this. )

Failing that, as I'm walking to my position, I tell my partner, "Gary -- that's five on #32." He goes out and handles the rest.

Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 10:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

While I'm a big fan of using HS mechanics , my partner and I discussed this on the way to our game yesterday. In the end we decided to try it the NFHS way, but I have reservations. It seems horribly awkward and is yet another attempt to take officials away from having to deal with coaches in a situation that requires game management skills. I have no problems walking over to a coach, looking him in the eye, and putting up a hand indicating five fouls. Just part of the job.

Of course, after working some women's college mechanics, I'm also a big fan of going tableside.

Maybe I'm being insensitive to younger officials -- I work three sports and my first basketball season was the first year of the 3-pt-line in HS (anyone remember the year?) so if I can't talk to coaches by now I guess I should've packed it in.

Rich
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I personally like the new mechanic, it hasn't seemed akward to me, but then again it has been in laid back JR Hi girls games, not a heated varsity contest yet where you want to keep things rolling. It does take a smidge more time, there is one thing that we talked about at our meeting this week however. When you inform the coach that the player has 5 fouls which is who you are supposed to tell first, the player is now bench personel. Now you go tell the player that he has 5, if he pops off and earns a T then it goes also to the head coach, I would prefer to tell the player first, just to try and avoid this situation. We currently just play it by ear, and if the player is close we tell them then go tell the coach, which ever way appears to be quicker..
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
While I'm a big fan of using HS mechanics , my partner and I discussed this on the way to our game yesterday. In the end we decided to try it the NFHS way, but I have reservations. It seems horribly awkward and is yet another attempt to take officials away from having to deal with coaches in a situation that requires game management skills. I have no problems walking over to a coach, looking him in the eye, and putting up a hand indicating five fouls. Just part of the job.

Of course, after working some women's college mechanics, I'm also a big fan of going tableside.

Maybe I'm being insensitive to younger officials -- I work three sports and my first basketball season was the first year of the 3-pt-line in HS (anyone remember the year?) so if I can't talk to coaches by now I guess I should've packed it in.

Rich
It's not only the "younger" officials, it's also (some of) the HS coaches.

Too many won't listen when you go tableside -- they'll just continue to, umm, make their point.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

It works well in 3 man but I can see where it would be a pain in 2 man.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Rich
It's not only the "younger" officials, it's also (some of) the HS coaches.

Too many won't listen when you go tableside -- they'll just continue to, umm, make their point.
Those coaches would get a nice view of my posterior and I would be turning the hearing aids off.

What is the difference between HS and juco coaches? Both groups have people that don't know how to act.

Your post just reminded me -- I need to put an IHSA patch on a shirt for next Friday. I heard from one of my partners that they were going to be checking such nonsense carefully this season and he wants to work playoff games down there. The one absolutely great thing about WI is their "clean shirt" policy where no sport has officials wearing patches on their uniforms (you can wear a flag, but nobody seems to).

Rich