View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
While I'm a big fan of using HS mechanics , my partner and I discussed this on the way to our game yesterday. In the end we decided to try it the NFHS way, but I have reservations. It seems horribly awkward and is yet another attempt to take officials away from having to deal with coaches in a situation that requires game management skills. I have no problems walking over to a coach, looking him in the eye, and putting up a hand indicating five fouls. Just part of the job.

Of course, after working some women's college mechanics, I'm also a big fan of going tableside.

Maybe I'm being insensitive to younger officials -- I work three sports and my first basketball season was the first year of the 3-pt-line in HS (anyone remember the year?) so if I can't talk to coaches by now I guess I should've packed it in.

Rich
It's not only the "younger" officials, it's also (some of) the HS coaches.

Too many won't listen when you go tableside -- they'll just continue to, umm, make their point.
Those coaches would get a nice view of my posterior and I would be turning the hearing aids off.

What is the difference between HS and juco coaches? Both groups have people that don't know how to act.

Your post just reminded me -- I need to put an IHSA patch on a shirt for next Friday. I heard from one of my partners that they were going to be checking such nonsense carefully this season and he wants to work playoff games down there. The one absolutely great thing about WI is their "clean shirt" policy where no sport has officials wearing patches on their uniforms (you can wear a flag, but nobody seems to).

Rich