The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Question

Ok, I've got a hypothetical situation: W/ 3man mech. and you as trail, you do not see basket interference by a player who grabs the ball (what looked like/what you judged to be) not above, but away from, the cylinder and dunks it--a ball which had just bounced off the rim as a missed try.

You're sure you have 'a-best' look at it, so you pass, but your partner, the C, calls (offensive) BI -- His judgment, of course, was that the ball was indeed above the cylinder and even though it was prob'ly going to go in, the rebounder/team A player should have let the ball fall. Prob'ly 'fine' judgment, right? I mean, that's what he has seen...

Now, in this scenario, what's the best way to handle it?

a. If you know for sure that it was safe and that the angle you had showed the ball was not above, but away from the cylinder. Good dunk and points. ...or

b. If you're not sure and passed, but you think your partner may be in error. ...or

c. If just the original opposite? You call it but your partner knows for sure that it was a clean rebound and dunk. Do you want him/her to tell you? Correct it? Or would you rather he stay off?

I also would like some discussion on who's call it is and when? thx...
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I think you've totally confused me.

Bottom line, if you disagree with your parnter's call or he disagrees with yours, come together, discuss it, and allow the calling official to change it if he feels it should be changed. Neither of you has the authority to overrule the other.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know if this will answer your question, but I have never seen an official stop play to discuss whether the ball was really in the cylinder or not.

If your partner makes the call, I think you have to assume that s/he's 100% sure about it, and move on.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Yes, thankyou... Now, In this sit., though, I'm not considering overruling, not even-thinking of it. I am, however, going to place this sit. in the fouth Q w/ 2:00
(2 mins) remaining, and you think the bucket shouldn't count.

Would it make a difference then? What about getting it right, had it been erroneously allowed or dis-allowed?

And, also, what if either coach is absolutely upset and besides himself..... verging on a "T?"

ty
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:39am
Huck Finn

T R U S T

You make the same amount as you partner
You make judgement calls
Your partner(s) make judgement calls
You cannot continually question your partner's calls and have a harmoneous crew.

Don't take a misinterpreted (spelling?) rule to the locker room but you can go to the locker room and as your partner what they had on a judgement call.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't a call where one official has authority over the other. Either official can make the call. When one official doesn't call it a violation, he has made a call, a judgment. If one official thinks it isn't a violation, why is it right for the other official to call it a violation when both have jurisdiction over the play?

If there's any question, the two should come together and get the call right. But the calling official should be the one to change the call, if need be.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

While you certainly can discuss it with your partner, you will be opening up a major-league can of worms. The whistle has blown and a call has been made. We're not talking about out-of-bounds here. You're talking about putting or taking points on the board.

If your partner is sure enough that something happened to warrant a whistle than I'd just let it go and have faith that my partner got it right. He may have blown it, but if he sells it right the game will go on with only the normal gripes. If I stop play to discuss it with him Pandora's Box is open.