The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Regarding the in-bounds status of a defender maintaning legal guarding position:

NFHS Basketball Rules Book Section 23 Article 2 reads: To obtain a legal guarding position a. the guard must have both feet touching the playing court. b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.
Article 3: After the initial guarding position is obtained a. The guard is not required to have either or both feet on the playing court or continue facing the opponent.

Article 3, which indicates the player is not required to have both feet on the playing court, simply allows for verticality. Looking at the rule from that angle, along with the AR indicating in-bounds status must be maintaned.

To me, that reconciles the issues.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

"Obtaining" legal guarding position and "continuing" to be in a legal guarding position are two separate things. Under the principle of verticality, you cannot "obtain" a legal guarding position while in mid-air. However, you can still be in legal guarding position in mid-air if you first "obtained" it with both feet on the ground.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 12:02pm
In Memoriam

Good for you, but I'm still confused.

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Regarding the in-bounds status of a defender maintaning legal guarding position:

NFHS Basketball Rules Book Section 23 Article 2 reads: To obtain a legal guarding position a. the guard must have both feet touching the playing court. b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.
Article 3: After the initial guarding position is obtained a. The guard is not required to have either or both feet on the playing court or continue facing the opponent.

Article 3, which indicates the player is not required to have both feet on the playing court, simply allows for verticality. Looking at the rule from that angle, along with the AR indicating in-bounds status must be maintaned.

To me, that reconciles the issues.
Major Editorial Changes
4-23 Clarified that in order for a player to establish legal guarding position, both feet must be touching the “playing court.”

http://www.nfhs.org/sports/basketball_rules_change.htm

But I don't care. If NFHS makes it cloudy, I can do what I want.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

TriggerMN,
Concerning the question of legal guarding status and a player inbounds or not:

I have not seen an issue with how to obtain legal guarding status and in my mind it is a given that verticality only applies after a legal guarding position has been established.

The question/issue is the wording "The guard is not required to have either or both feet on the playing court" (after obtaining legal guarding status) in Article 3.
That phrase, allows for verticality (both feet not touching the playing court, but still inbounds). That along with the AR of loosing legal guarding status if you step OOB, is what solves the problem (for me).

I agree that Article 3 should be worded differently to agree with the AR without raising a question.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

This was specifically addressed at our interpreter's meeting here in the state of Washington (after several calls to the NFHS for clarification according to our interpreter).

Here was what we were told (so don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger). LGP has to established with both feet in bounds. Once it's established, the defender can draw a charge with one foot out of bounds.

So player B1 establishes LGP against player A1. A1 is dribbling near the sideline. B1 moves to stay in front of A1 and in doing so, steps out of bounds with a foot. A1 charges into B1. Player control foul on A1.

Z
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

That would be a block in SC.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to capwsu
In all of the discussions I have heard in MN, once the defender's foot is touching OOB he has lost his legal gaurding position and should be called a block.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder how your interpreter and my interpreter got two different interpretations? We were told that the OOB foot makes this call a BLOCK (not that folks think this is a good
ruling). At the NFHS site go to rules/basketball. The first article contains "further clarification of the rule emphasis" (or something like that). The case play included clearly states the defender established LGP then steps OOB, then contact occurs. BLOCK

Anyway, the answer to the question on the NFHS exam is BLOCK.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I was quite sure that I understood the new rule before I attended our rules clinic, especially having read the clarification on the NFHS website. Then our interpreter explained it completely contrary to what I thought I had read up to that point.

I might have even doubted our interpreter until he told us that several calls were made to Mary Struck herself because there was so much confusion about the rule. Our clinic was a little over a week ago.

I'll send an e-mail to our state official's commissioner here shortly and ask him to explain the apparent conflict between what Mary Struck's office said and what is on the NFHS website.

Z
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Yes, I was quite sure that I understood the new rule before I attended our rules clinic, especially having read the clarification on the NFHS website. Then our interpreter explained it completely contrary to what I thought I had read up to that point.

I might have even doubted our interpreter until he told us that several calls were made to Mary Struck herself because there was so much confusion about the rule. Our clinic was a little over a week ago.

I'll send an e-mail to our state official's commissioner here shortly and ask him to explain the apparent conflict between what Mary Struck's office said and what is on the NFHS website.

Z
There's the problem. Maybe if he'd call Mary Struckhoff he'd get a different answer.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

After reading all the discussion here, I was also surprised to attend our meeting here in Utah and be told that the foot on the line only affects the establishment of initial guarding position. They followed that up with a statement that the rules committee would be "fixing" this next year. Perhaps the committee has rethought its published interpretation?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
There's the problem. Maybe if he'd call Mary Struckhoff he'd get a different answer.
We're on a nickname basis with her Bob. Usually we just call her "the Struck." :-)

Z