Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Bidders?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Tony
I'd take you up on your offer but somehow I just dont think the PRES and SECDEF would let me outta here for a game. Although it would be sure as heck more fun than this place

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark DexterI'll bid 215!!!!!!
It's looking like it might be yours Mark! I'll let Steve know.

PS. I've got another game next Wednesday in Idaho Falls... Anyone... anyone... ?

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Nov 13th, 2003 at 04:59 PM]
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

basketball-football

As been said, it's impossible to say which sport is the most hard to ref. But the mechanics and appearance are propably more important for a basketballref. than for any other sport.
The size of the basketball playing field (length about 28 meters) is much less than a soccer or football field. Because there isn't much space between direct offenders and defenders, with the fact they have to jump in order to make a fieldgoal and are playing very close on the target, reffing a basketballgame is a very accurate and precise profession. Maybe more than every other game where a ref is needed.
Above that, more score attempts are carried out with bball than others(as far as I know). Am I wrong? Let me know.

Dutch basketball ref.

Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 03:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: basketball-football

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicos
As been said, it's impossible to say which sport is the most hard to ref. But the mechanics and appearance are propably more important for a basketballref. than for any other sport.
There might not be a way to determine in many folks minds, but I do know one thing. I have seen officials that are very good football officials or good baseball umpires, and cannot officiate a good basketball game to save their life. Or at the very least, have not achieved the same level of success that they have in football or baseball/softball for example. But usually officials that are good basketball officials, are very good officials in other sports.

It seems to me that being a basketball official you never get a game off officiating, like you might in the other sports. Depending on you position as a football official, you might not ever make certain calls the entire game. Same if you umpire baseball. I just think you have to have all the aspects of officiating together to officiate basketball.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Good call, Rut!

When I first started officiating basketball, I had a mentor that said he could take a good basketball official and teach him/her to be a good official in almost any other sport, but it was difficult to take another sports official and make him/her a good basketball official.