The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Does the lane 3 second count start when the ball is given to offensive player taking the ball out of bounds or when the ball is thrown in bounds by the offensive player?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 12:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

My best guess here is that you really mean the 10 second backcourt count. It begins when there is team control on the floor. Team control is established when a player establishes player control. Player control is defined as a player holding or dribbling a ball inbounds.

So, if you really mean the 10 second backcourt count, it starts when an offensive player on the floor receives (not just touches, as in a deflection) the ball and is in that team's backcourt.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My best guess here is that you really mean the 10 second backcourt count. It begins when there is team control on the floor. Team control is established when a player establishes player control. Player control is defined as a player holding or dribbling a ball inbounds.

So, if you really mean the 10 second backcourt count, it starts when an offensive player on the floor receives (not just touches, as in a deflection) the ball and is in that team's backcourt.
Mark -- The ball could be coming in under team A's (offensive) basket, rather than backcourt.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ellewisjr
Does the lane 3 second count start when the ball is given to offensive player taking the ball out of bounds or when the ball is thrown in bounds by the offensive player?
No.

According to the rulebook, the 3-second count doesn't start until there is team control by the offensive team in the frontcourt.

(In HS, there's no team control during a throw-in.)

According to most officials, however, the 3-second count doesn't start until hell freezes over.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
3 second count starts when the rookie official calls a state championship game.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 03:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Mark -- The ball could be coming in under team A's (offensive) basket, rather than backcourt.
How does that pertain to what I said?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, if the ball comes in under A's basket, of course, the 10 second count isn't an issue, but the 3 second count is. Am I missing something here?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ellewisjr
Getting back to the original question:

Answer:

Neither. The 3 second count will begin when any player from a team is standing in the lane (including the lines) and his team has control of the ball in it's frontcourt.
The count continues during an interrupted dribble.

So, on a throw-in the only count is the 5 second count to inbound the ball.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, if the ball comes in under A's basket, of course, the 10 second count isn't an issue, but the 3 second count is. Am I missing something here?
Depends on where the throw-in goes! It's not where it starts that matters.