The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10741-basketball.html)

ellewisjr Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:56am

Does the lane 3 second count start when the ball is given to offensive player taking the ball out of bounds or when the ball is thrown in bounds by the offensive player?

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:05pm

My best guess here is that you really mean the 10 second backcourt count. It begins when there is team control on the floor. Team control is established when a player establishes player control. Player control is defined as a player holding or dribbling a ball inbounds.

So, if you really mean the 10 second backcourt count, it starts when an offensive player on the floor receives (not just touches, as in a deflection) the ball and is in that team's backcourt.

rainmaker Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My best guess here is that you really mean the 10 second backcourt count. It begins when there is team control on the floor. Team control is established when a player establishes player control. Player control is defined as a player holding or dribbling a ball inbounds.

So, if you really mean the 10 second backcourt count, it starts when an offensive player on the floor receives (not just touches, as in a deflection) the ball and is in that team's backcourt.

Mark -- The ball could be coming in under team A's (offensive) basket, rather than backcourt.

ChuckElias Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ellewisjr
Does the lane 3 second count start when the ball is given to offensive player taking the ball out of bounds or when the ball is thrown in bounds by the offensive player?
No.

According to the rulebook, the 3-second count doesn't start until there is team control by the offensive team in the frontcourt.

(In HS, there's no team control during a throw-in.)

According to most officials, however, the 3-second count doesn't start until hell freezes over. :)

Tim Roden Fri Nov 07, 2003 01:30pm

3 second count starts when the rookie official calls a state championship game.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 07, 2003 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Mark -- The ball could be coming in under team A's (offensive) basket, rather than backcourt.

How does that pertain to what I said?

rainmaker Fri Nov 07, 2003 07:49pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if the ball comes in under A's basket, of course, the 10 second count isn't an issue, but the 3 second count is. Am I missing something here?

nine01c Fri Nov 07, 2003 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ellewisjr
Getting back to the original question:

Answer:

Neither. The 3 second count will begin when any player from a team is standing in the lane (including the lines) and his team has control of the ball in it's frontcourt.
The count continues during an interrupted dribble.

So, on a throw-in the only count is the 5 second count to inbound the ball.

Hawks Coach Fri Nov 07, 2003 09:00pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if the ball comes in under A's basket, of course, the 10 second count isn't an issue, but the 3 second count is. Am I missing something here?

Depends on where the throw-in goes! It's not where it starts that matters.