The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Not sure if this question is appropriate here but here it goes anyway:

I am in the market for new ref shoes. I have seen some officials with some new-type shoes, all black, made of a material that is already very shiny (will not need polishing, leather luster or anything like that).

Problem is, I can't find them anywhere! I believe the shoes are wilson? all-star? (not sure about that).

In any event, does anyone know what I'm talking about :-) and would know where to buy these shoes?

Thanks in advance
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

In the NFHS Rule book there is an ad on page, well near the end of the book for Converse Patent Leather shoes. Try:

http://www.theofficialschoiceinc.com

According to the ad they sell for 79.95 but the web site says 89.95. You might try calling them at 973-267-8010, they might give 10 off for mentioning the ad.

Barry

[Edited by cropduster on Nov 5th, 2003 at 06:19 AM]
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 08:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Of course, they won't mean anything if they aren't comfortable.

I debated getting the patent leathers, but I wanted to be able to try my shoes on for a change so I went with New Balance. There are New Balance stores all over the place and the 609 they sell are the same ones sold by officiating supply places at the same price.

There's also something quite zen about shining shoes

Rich
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Many of the officials in our association went in together for the Converse "shinies" last year. Because of the bulk order, we all received a nice "Officials Choice" baseball cap as well. The majority of folks like the shoes. You do have to shine them often, as they get scuffed. I use Pledge or Armor All. Also, there aren't many air holes, so the shoes do not "breathe" very well.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I just wrote this on another thread, but I found some Addidas Superstar 2Gs and I really like them. I've been wearing the same model playing for over a year and they hold up well. Eastbay.com has a good selection to check out. I returned things to them in the past (it's been at least 5 years) and their return policies were good.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all for the responses! Now that I know exactly what they are, I have been able to find a few places where they sell them.

Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

The best ref shoe out there is the New Balance. I have tried the patent leather, and after 2-3 games the shoes smelled so bad it was hard to ride home with them, and they were in the trunk.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
The best ref shoe out there is the New Balance. I have tried the patent leather, and after 2-3 games the shoes smelled so bad it was hard to ride home with them, and they were in the trunk.
The best ref shoe is the one that fits your foot. I don't like the feel on the New Balance (that I own) as much I as I like the feel of the Nike's I have.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Before you buy, call your local school's A.D. or coach. Most of them can get great deals on shoes.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Maybe you have smelly feet?

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
There is no right or wrong when we talk about this issue. Whatever you like is what you should use. I have both the New Balance 608 and the Patent Leather Converse shoes. I love them both. I use the Patented Leather shoes for college and sactioned HS games. I use the New Balance for the summer and games that are not "real" ones. I never where the NB 608 shoes because they do not maintain the shine. And when I where the PL shoes, no one knows they are that way unless I have told them they are PL or if they have seen them. I was one of the first to have the shoes in my area and no one knew they were PL at all. Now they have become popular and everyone has them. I have not met anyone that did not like them.

Peace