The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 28, 1999, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

A1 has started a try for basket in the paint when he is fouled by B1.
After the foul and while still in the act of continuous motion, A1 goes airborne.
Before A1 went airborne, B2 had established legal guarding position in the paint.
A1 makes the shot and then lands all over B2.

What's the call---also, would the call be different if A1 had not shot the ball but just landed on B2 still holding the ball(he would still be in continuous motion.)

How bout it Mark?
Old Thu Oct 28, 1999, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

This is a false double foul, very similar to Case 4.19.8A. There is a player-control foul on A1 which means the basket is canceled. A1 shoots two free-throws for being fouled on the shot. After the second throw, Team B gets the ball OOB at the designated spot for the player-control foul.

would the call be different if A1 had not shot the ball but just landed on B2 still holding the ball

If you decide that A1's movements qualify for continuous motion, then the ruling is the same.

Otherwise, you'd just have a common foul on B1.
Old Fri Oct 29, 1999, 12:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by ken roberts on 10-28-1999 01:43 PM
This is a false double foul, very similar to Case 4.19.8A. There is a player-control foul on A1 which means the basket is canceled. A1 shoots two free-throws for being fouled on the shot. After the second throw, Team B gets the ball OOB at the designated spot for the player-control foul.

would the call be different if A1 had not shot the ball but just landed on B2 still holding the ball

If you decide that A1's movements qualify for continuous motion, then the ruling is the same.

Otherwise, you'd just have a common foul on B1.

Ken's explanation sounds complete and accurate to me. In a real game situation, however, A1 would have had to really come down explosively on B2 for me to call that foul. For any of you who are going to argue "what constitutes continuous motion", read this year's Points Of Emphasis. It confirms what I was told at a clinic about 3 years ago - only the NBA gets this call RIGHT!

Old Fri Oct 29, 1999, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Just to add to the discussion:

The lane would be cleared for the free throws since there will be no opportunity for a rebound. 8-2

If the last free throw is successful, the other team can run the baseline rather than having a spot throw-in. 8-5-1

Old Fri Oct 29, 1999, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

The orignial question stated that "...A1 makes the shot and then lands all over B2." Since the try was successful before the player control foul caused the ball to become dead isn't the goal scored?

Please clarify.
Old Fri Oct 29, 1999, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to John Evans
Depends on Federation or NCAA game.

Federation rules on airborne shooter you would cancel the goal.

In NCAA game (men's) if try was released prior to contact, count the goal, no player control. NCAA women's is same as NF.
Old Sun Oct 31, 1999, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lee Jones
I know that this will touch many of you the wrong way, but the reality of the situation is that most officials, myself included, will score the basket, ignore the contact at the end of the play, and have A1 shoot one free throw. If we get caught up too much in becoming text book officials, the game suffers in the long run.
Old Sun Oct 31, 1999, 07:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jones on 10-31-1999 04:36 PM
I know that this will touch many of you the wrong way, but the reality of the situation is that most officials, myself included, will score the basket, ignore the contact at the end of the play, and have A1 shoot one free throw. If we get caught up too much in becoming text book officials, the game suffers in the long run.

I agree with Lee. That's why I said in my post that the shooter would really have had to plow into B2 to get called for a foul.

Old Mon Nov 01, 1999, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Cool

A block/charge call is a good example of practicing a slow whistle. Observe the whole play before you crank down on your Fox 40 so you can make the proper call. Albeit, that is sometimes easier said than done...